Author Topic: Eliza E Quilliam 1918  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza E Quilliam 1918
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 07 October 18 21:35 BST (UK) »
With regards Anthony Feeney I am looking for any material other than his marriage certificate which I have.  I cannot find him on the 1939 census but this may be because he was at sea.

I suggest that if you need help with Anthony Feeney that you start a new thread with his name in title. This might attract people who know something or can suggest lines of enquiry. A surname like Feeney may lead back to Ireland. Put a link from your new thread to this one and vice-versa.

Concentrating on Elizabeth Quilliam's parents and Quilliam and Risley families on this thread makes it easier for people to follow. Otherwise you won't be the only person feeling out of their depth.   :)
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 07 October 18 22:12 BST (UK) »
there may have been more than one man named John Kelly Quilliam; after all, your man was born in the Isle of Man and there's a song about "Kelly from the Isle of Man";

I've just looked up John Quilliam name on census 1841-1891. Predominantly Isle of Man. Therefore more than one John Quilliam having middle name Kelly after mother or grandmother to differentiate them is plausible. They wouldn't always need to use the middle name after they left the island. Another possibility is that they were illegitimate, born to a Kelly mother and that Quilliam was name of father or stepfather. Alternatively, the mother was Quilliam and father was Kelly, mother hoping to marry Mr. Kelly and intending to drop Quilliam in favour of Kelly as child's surname. Oh what fun! Hopefully your John Quilliam won't be as complicated as that.
Cowban

Offline RodEast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 07 October 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice.  Time to take a break and regroup.
Rod Eastham

Offline RodEast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 18 October 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
John Kelly Quilliam was born in 1858 in Liverpool the son of Joseph Quilliam (born in the Isle of Man) and Eliza Kelly (born in the Isle of Man) who were married on 06 May 1847 in Braddan, Isle Of Man,England.  At the time of his marriage he was listed as a widower but as yet I have not unravelled his marriage history.
Emma Jane Risley married William Harrison on 28 Nov 1898 in Walton on the Hill his father being James Harrison and Emma's father being Samuel Risley. I do not know what happened between 1898 and 1920 but William Harrison died March 1919 1st qtr West Derby, Lancashire, England 8B 593.
Emma Harrison (Risley) married John Kelly Quilliam on 05 December 1920 in Kirkdale, Lancashire, Emma (widow), John (widower).  John's father is Joseph Quilliam and Emma's father is Samuel Risley.
I have posted a new topic regarding Joseph Quilliam.
Thank you for your guidance and help.
Rod Eastham