Author Topic: Eliza E Quilliam 1918  (Read 2263 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza E Quilliam 1918
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 September 18 23:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for everything so far.  There is a marriage between Emma Jane Harrison (Risley) in 4th qtr 1920 in West Derby to John K Quilliam and the 1939 census confirms this and lists 2 sons George E and Alexander.  When you check this back to the 1911 census it says John and Emma have been married for 13 years but I cannot find a marriage reference.  It also lists a father in law as Samuel Disley.  Now I am even more confused.  Any Further advice?
Rod

My wife's grandparents (in Catholic Peru) managed to keep their lack of a marriage secret for nearly 40 years before they finally "made it legal".

So, maybe John and Emma did the same.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 September 18 23:39 BST (UK) »
As has already been said, perhaps too many William Harrisons to check but there is this death

March 1919 West Derby 8b pg 593

William Harrison 44 yrs (abt 1875)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RodEast

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 06 October 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for everything but I think I am now out of my depth. The birth certificate of Eliza Ellen Quilliam (27  Nov 1917) Shows the father as JOHN KELLY QUILLIAM which is confirmed on her marriage certificate (21 December 1935)  to ANTHONY FEELAN (25 years) with JOHN KELLY QUILLIAM'S profession stated as Decorator.  JOHN'S profession is confirmed on the 1939 census as House Painter Retired.  The only JOHN KELLY QUILLIAM that I can find has his profession as Gas Fitter.  There is a marriage between JOHN KELLY QUILLIAM and EMMA JANE HARRISON {RISLEY) in the 4th qt West Derby 8B 98 (presumably now William Harrison has died) but that is where my trail goes cold.
ELIZA ELLEN QUILLIAM'S marriage certificate shows ANTONY FEENEY'S father as WILLIAM (deceased) (Marine Fireman) and is witnessed by Samuel James Edward Quilliam and Hannah Whittaker but I cannot find any trace of ANTHONY's family open the 1911 census.
Any further advice and help is needed and will be greatly appreciated.
Rod Eastham

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 October 18 17:44 BST (UK) »
ELIZA ELLEN QUILLIAM'S marriage certificate shows ANTONY FEENEY'S father as WILLIAM (deceased) (Marine Fireman) and is witnessed by Samuel James Edward Quilliam and Hannah Whittaker but I cannot find any trace of ANTHONY's family open the 1911 census.
Have you tried Finny or Finney? Since it's an Irish name search 1911 Irish census too for Antony's family. According to his age at marriage Antony was born by 1911.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 October 18 17:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for everything but I think I am now out of my depth. The birth certificate of Eliza Ellen Quilliam (27  Nov 1917) Shows the father as JOHN KELLY QUILLIAM which is confirmed on her marriage certificate (21 December 1935)  to ANTHONY FEELAN (25 years) with JOHN KELLY QUILLIAM'S profession stated as Decorator.  JOHN'S profession is confirmed on the 1939 census as House Painter Retired.  The only JOHN KELLY QUILLIAM that I can find has his profession as Gas Fitter.  There is a marriage between JOHN KELLY QUILLIAM and EMMA JANE HARRISON {RISLEY) in the 4th qt West Derby 8B 98 (presumably now William Harrison has died) but that is where my trail goes cold.

Heywood found John & Emma & Samuel on 1901 census reply #10. John's p.o b. was Isle of Man.
You said in your reply #9 that you had John & Emma & family in 1911. Edit. Philip posted 1911 census in reply #2.
Philip posted birth registrations of Quilliam children until 1915 in reply #2.
You have John's marriage to Emma in 1920
You have found John Quilliam on 1939 Register.
That seems to be a well-defined trail. What is it that you cannot find?
Other records between 1911-1939 may be war service, electoral registers, ratepayers lists and trade directories. Edit. Emma should have been eligible to vote from 1921.
Who was the John Quilliam, occcupation gas-fitter; where and when did you find him?
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 October 18 18:48 BST (UK) »
I can't find Antony Feeny with father William on 1911 Irish census. Neither can I find an Irish birth registration for Antony Feeny within 3 years on 1910. There was an unnamed Feeny but he died same day he was born.
If Antony is on 1939 Register his country of birth should be stated if he was born outside Britain.
Cowban

Offline RodEast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 07 October 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
With regards Anthony Feeney I am looking for any material other than his marriage certificate which I have.  I cannot find him on the 1939 census but this may be because he was at sea.
With regards to Emma Jane Risley I have a possible scenario which I am trying to unravel.  John Quilliam married Agnes Mary Hall or Briggs on 28 Sept 1891 in St Simons Church Liverpool.  They appear on the 1891 census where John is given as a Gas Fitter.  I can't find any further reference to John born 1858.  Agnes, however, appears on both the 1901 and 1911  census with her daughter and although she is stated married there is no husband.  Emma married William Harrison in 1898 but there are no further references to them.  The possibility is that John and Eliza were living together unable to marry until 1920 when both William Harrison and Agnes Mary Quilliam had died.  Just a thought.
Rod Eastham

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 07 October 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for everything but I think I am now out of my depth.

Slow down, take a deep breath (as long as your head is above water  ;D ;D) and let the information float around in your mind.  It will settle into a pattern.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 07 October 18 21:14 BST (UK) »
I second Philip's advice.

Your enquiry was about the parents of Eliza Quilliam. Her parents have been identified. documentation has been located which proves connections. You have a time-frame of key events for Emma, her mother. You have a likely scenario of John & Emma's life together. There are gaps to fill but some information may never be known.

John Quilliam's occupation was consistent as painter/decorator from 1901 until old age.
 When searching for him before 1901 keep in mind that:
 a.) there may have been several men named John Quilliam;
 b.) there may have been more than one man named John Kelly Quilliam; after all, your man was born in the Isle of Man and there's a song about "Kelly from the Isle of Man";
c.) spelling of Quilliam may have been incorrectly recorded/ transcribed in some sources; it might not even begin with Q!
d.) you know he crossed the water once; it might not have been the only time he travelled.

John Quilliam, the gas fitter and the other John Quilliam marriage may be red herrings.
Cowban