Author Topic: Selena Rowark born Seffield 1820  (Read 660 times)

Offline Dougalmac2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Selena Rowark born Seffield 1820
« on: Wednesday 26 September 18 21:52 BST (UK) »
Following my thread 'William Rooke and Selina married c 1841' I'm trying to find out more about Selina Rowark and her family.

Selina was married at Gainsborough, on the certificate Selena's father is John Rowark and a witness is Joseph Rowark.

According to 1841 census Selina (Rooks) was born 1820 in Sheffield and she and William are living in Lancaster.

In 1851 a Joseph Rowark   lived at Wakefield Place, Gainsborough, he was born Sheffield 1807.
I suspect he will turn out to be a brother. From the births of his cheldren in this censusit would appear that Joseph moved from Sheffield to Gainsborough between  1838 & 1839.
Familysearch.org have an entry ( https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:MJTT-21G )for a John Rowark marrying Mary Bownes in 1806 at Rotherham. This would fit in with Joseph born 1807.

If anyone can place this family in Sheffield about this time I would very much appreciate it. Obviously I'm not looking to involve anyone in copyright problems but I know Sheffield FHS produce quite a large number of files of PRs and if I can be pointed to the correct one i'm obviously willing to pay for the data.

Macdonald/McDonald Kent, Edinburgh
Simpson Lancs
Lomas,Lancs
Fawcett Lancs
Smith Staffs
Freakley Staffs
Gillingham Kent
Varney Oxon
Varney Warwicks,
Humphrey Northants
Mayo Northants

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Selena Rowark born Seffield 1820
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 22:12 BST (UK) »
The 1841 shows her aged 19 b in county (ie) Lancashire. Birthyear 1822 not 1820

See reply 12 on your earlier thread

The 1841 does not show actual birthplaces so she is not shown as b Sheffield on the 1841

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 September 18 02:10 BST (UK) »
A couple of baptisms, parents Hannah and Joseph a moulder (Selina's brother?) Enter Rowark in the surname box.

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/ParishBaptismIndex.html

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 September 18 02:25 BST (UK) »
Joseph and Hannah also had a dau Selina born Aug 17th 1845, baptised Sept 7th 1845 at Gainsborough, dau of Hannah and Joseph an iron moulder.

buried March 25th 1846 Gainsborough

Not finding your Selina, but you did say you'd like to find out more about her family.  I think Joseph having a dau Selina strengthens the link between him and your Selina.

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 September 18 02:48 BST (UK) »
This could be Selina's father.

John Rowarth, labourer, buried Sheffield 24th Oct 1825, age 43yrs, abode Park Sheffield

Offline Dougalmac2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 September 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Thanks to those of you who have taken the time to read this thread and especially carolW and libby9 for the replies.

I had meant to say 'about 1820' for her birth, at her marriage in 1840 she is noted as 'of full age' or 21 , but apparently this is not always reliable. In 1851 at 72 Portland St, Cellar, Manchester her age is given as 30 so born 1821, in 1861 at 5 Queen St, Hulme, Manchester 37 so 1824 and at her death in Salford 1869 she's aged 46 making her birth 1823 so its all a bit fluid.

The two baptisms are interesting, all Joseph and Hannah's sons, or those who survived long enough, became iron moulders. I had the Gainsborough baptisms from family search, and Johns burial fits in well. It would be nice to tie in Selina, Joseph and Jon as the same family. Hopefully some of these older events will be entered at a future date. Thanks for the Sheffield Indexers Link.

Mac
Macdonald/McDonald Kent, Edinburgh
Simpson Lancs
Lomas,Lancs
Fawcett Lancs
Smith Staffs
Freakley Staffs
Gillingham Kent
Varney Oxon
Varney Warwicks,
Humphrey Northants
Mayo Northants