Author Topic: Jack Akers Royal Navy  (Read 731 times)

Offline Catherine Wait

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Jack Akers Royal Navy
« on: Thursday 27 September 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
Morning, I hope someone can help me with the following:- All information I have is oral without any references.

Jack Akers, Royal Navy, chef, born 1910 to 1920 possibly Yorkshire.  He was in Durban, South Africa Feb/March 1943.

The story:  During the time Jack was in Durban, either shipping in and out or RR?, a illegitimate child was conceived, I doubt he even knew about the baby. At the end of the war, the mother could not explain to her husband returning from war, that a baby had miraculously appeared, so a friend "adopted" the child and raised it as her own.  The child (still alive) only found out just before the adoptive mother passed away, and the above info is all that remains.  I wonder if they assumed Jack came from Yorkshire because of the accent?

Any help would be great.  Unfortunately don't have Ancestry.

Regards
Catherine
Ridley (Northumberland)
Turnbull (Northumberland))
Hatley (London)
McFadden (Donegal and Tasmania)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Akers Royal Navy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 September 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
Unless he or the child appear there in someone's family tree, you won't find anything on the military side on Ancestry.  WW2 records are still with the Ministry of Defence and although they can be applied (and paid) for, it doesn't look as if you would be able to produce the documents/details required.

A posting on the South Africa board focussing on the mother and child might help perhaps?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Catherine Wait

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Akers Royal Navy
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 September 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks MaxD, I was expecting as much.  Just thought I would ask, you never know what might pop up. 

Regards
Catherine
Ridley (Northumberland)
Turnbull (Northumberland))
Hatley (London)
McFadden (Donegal and Tasmania)