Author Topic: Baptism  (Read 917 times)

Offline Jackie Mc Andrew

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Baptism
« on: Thursday 27 September 18 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all I was born in St Finbarr's hospital in 1976 my mother was in the mother & baby home at the time I was always told I was baptized in the hospital don't know the reason why it was never spoken about as they (home)tried to take me off her, the thing is I can't find a baptismal cert anywhere in records, was this a regular thing I definitely wasn't baptized anywhere else ...hopefully someone can help x

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 September 18 18:36 BST (UK) »
Most if not all children born in any hospital during that period was baptised in the hospital, my mother refused on her first child in the Coombe in Dublin they made such a fuss she hid in loo on her second child when they were called to bring down the babies for baptism.

Thinking about that think the practice was dying out by the mid 70s but still not unusual.

I guess you would need to know what parish the hospital was in, they should have a record I'd say.

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 September 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
I was born 1 of twins, I was very ill at one stage and it was decided I was to be baptised in hospital, apparently I turned the corner as it were and here I am today after being so very ill, so I assume it is poorly babies who would be baptised in hospital by a local  priest, look at local church records it might be listed there if the priest came locally which they normally do, (did do)

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 September 18 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome.

When you say your mother was in the mother and baby home, is that a home separate to the hospital.
In this article reporting on births around that time in Bessborough home, the implication is that most babies were born at the home and only those with any complications would be in the hospital.
It also states that baptisms took place once a week in the home.
Maybe you were ill at the time and it was an emergency.  :-\

As Sinann writes, perhaps the local church could help with information,

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/in-1974-i-drove-myself-to-the-cork-mother-and-baby-home-1.3013348
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk