Author Topic: Samuel Patterson  (Read 1262 times)

Offline idr6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Patterson
« on: Thursday 27 September 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
In July 1929 there was a sad incident in the River Lagan with a young lad drowning and an unemployed man, Samuel Todd Patterson, also losing his life in a vain attempt at rescue.  I'm trying to see if this Samuel Patterson fits into my family tree. 

At the time of his death, Samuel was said to be living at 47 St Kilda Street, Belfast. The time is that at 49 was old Elias Patterson with 47 housing his daughter Sarah and her husband Thomas Longridge.  Unless there is a strange coincidence in the surnames (and these things do happen), there's every change that family connections brought the unemployed Samuel and his family to lodge with relatives at 47.

I know that Samuel was the son of Samuel and Elizabeth Patterson (of 5 Jocelyn Street) and that the dates of this elder Samuel are 1864-1943.  Does anyone know of a connection between him/them and Elias Patterson's family?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Patterson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 September 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
Have you got ages for Elias or any idea of his wife's name
There is a marriage of a Elias Patterson to Eleanor Hall in 1870 in Belfast his father is Samuel.
Do you know if the older Samuel's father's name?
Could they be brothers?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11381/8178590.pdf

Offline idr6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 September 18 20:32 BST (UK) »
Yes this is indeed the Elias that I've been considering. He's 27 when he marries Eleanor Hall in 1870, so that's a birth in about 1843. He dies sometime after 1924 (Eleanor's death). The 1932 Directory has daughter Sarah moving into 49 in 1932, so I presume he is dead by then. The 1870 marriage has Elias' father's name as Samuel.  I was wondering whether Elias and the 1864-born Samuel might be brothers.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 September 18 20:40 BST (UK) »
Do you know Elizabeth's surname?

Offline idr6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 September 18 20:50 BST (UK) »
I believe it was Thompson. Her dates were 1865-1936, There are quite a few Pattersons on the Find A Grave website (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/122439553/samuel-patterson), but nothing that links to 'my' Pattersons.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 September 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage of a Samuel Patterson to Elizabeth Thompson 1885 but his father is Robert
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1885/10872/5970717.pdf

What age is Samuel Todd when his died?

Offline idr6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 September 18 21:35 BST (UK) »
Samuel Todd Patterson was born in the first quarter of 1895 (a twin with John Thompson Patterson), and died on 15 July 1929. His funeral was a major event at the time.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 September 18 21:56 BST (UK) »
Samuel Patterson who drowned left a widow and 3 children. He served through the war in The Royal Irish Rifles.

JJ

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 September 18 22:16 BST (UK) »