Author Topic: LivingDNA Project looking for DNA samples Scots & Irish & World 3 days to go!  (Read 852 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LivingDNA Project looking for DNA samples Scots & Irish & World 3 days to go!
« on: Thursday 27 September 18 21:54 BST (UK) »
I am not sure why this doesn't seem to have been better publicized, but there is 3 days to go - deadline 1st October :o!!! LivingDNA has created a One Family Research Project, that is being done in conjunction with Eupedia and Verein für Computergenealogie. They are inviting free DNA uploads from other providers for everybody, but particularly for people who have all four grandparents born within 80 km / 50 miles of each other within their main research areas - which are, in the British Isles, Scotland and Ireland, including Northern Ireland, but also most other regions of the world.

https://www.livingdna.com/one-family/research

https://www.eupedia.com/genetics/

http://www.compgen.de/

"Living DNA is setting out to build a worldwide genetic family tree as well as producing a fine scale map of the world's ancestry to help explore and understand both recent and ancient migrations.
That’s where you can help, so if you’ve done a DNA test you can upload your existing results for FREE and have access to DNA matches from late 2018, or you can buy a Living DNA test."

"You will be helping to create a legacy for future generations to come, as you are part of the last generation who can help us capture a research project with great detail and accuracy.
As a thank-you for taking part in our research project, you will be able to find DNA matches with other people in the project as well as people who have taken a Living DNA test.
This will help those that are interested find new ‘genetic cousins’ and connect with once unknown relatives around the world. The free upload does not provide an ethnic breakdown."

"We are currently accepting DNA uploads from anyone around the world who wishes to be a part of this project.
The One Family project is open to everyone worldwide and has two main research goals:
To build a genetic family tree of everyone from around the world, regardless of where your family comes from.
To build a regional genetic breakdown of ancestry within countries, similar to 'The Peopling of the British Isles project'. This part of the project is looking for people with all four grandparents born within 80km (50mi) of each other inside our project areas of interest.
Anyone with autosomal DNA data who wishes to upload to us will qualify for the first part of our research project.
If you have all four of your grandparents born within 80km of one another, you will also qualify for the second part of our research project."

So they are mainly looking for 'pure' samples of people whose all four grandparents are born within 80km / 50 miles of each other, basically everywhere except England, Wales, North/South/East Africa, Americas, Australasia and Polynesia, full country list -:

Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland

France, Iberia (Spain, Portugal), Switzerland, Benelux (Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands), Germany, Italy

Nordics and Baltics (Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden)

Poland, Eastern Europe, Caucasus & Siberia (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine)

Southeast Europe (Albania, Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Kosovo)

West Africa (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo (Brazzaville), Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Togo)

Middle East (Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, United Arab Emirates, Yemen)

Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan)

China & Mongolia (China, Mongolia, Taiwan)

South Asia (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka)

Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Southeast Asia (Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam)

But they are also building a worldwide genetic family tree, so English, Welsh, Americans, Australians etc. can also contribute if they want to be part of that, and you will get genetic matches shown to you in a month or so.

Offline Purpeller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: LivingDNA Project looking for DNA samples Scots & Irish & World 3 days to go!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 01:58 GMT (UK) »
I gave them my DNA 14 months ago at a genealogy fair in Dublin and I still have absolutely nothing from them...no ethnicity results, no matches. Sent them an email querying why still nothing a month ago and got a weird generic email back from "one of the founders" a few days ago saying they were sorry to be so slow at responding.
Dublin, Limerick, Carlow, Waterford, Wicklow, Pembrokeshire

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LivingDNA Project looking for DNA samples Scots & Irish & World 3 days to go!
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 11:06 GMT (UK) »

I uploaded my Ancestry DNA to the Living Site back in October, mainly because of reading people talking about the more detailed Ethnicity Estimates for the U.K. on there.

I don't have any Ethnicity Estimates on there, - just one UK Match, who I can't contact because the messaging facility doesn't work on there.

I wrote to Living asking why this was, and had a reply saying that it was only people who uploaded via the Find my Past Site for a limited time in October who this applied to. They did say that they hoped to have it working by January 2019, but my guess is that it'll be a 'Pay to View' facility then.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.