Author Topic: Keady's of Furlogh - Barna - Galway - Ireland  (Read 5703 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Keady's of Furlogh - Barna - Galway - Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 September 18 14:08 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Maiden Stone link=topic=801141.msg6587960#msg6587960

There were 2 sons of the marriage born 1915 & 1916. Were there more during the next 20 years?
[/quote

Wow well, Maiden stone that's one step forward and I'm off to check the full census results on that 

I did not find any births which including the mothers maiden name - but on what information you have given me I will try to follow on that . . .

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie

Enter Keady surname and births 1914-1916. Select Galway from list of districts. Results show mothers' maiden names, 2 of which were Clancy.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 September 18 14:26 BST (UK) »
The Mary Clancy I found on 1911 census was the only one who was with a father called Michael. I was working on the assumption that as he was a farmer alive at the time of Mary's marriage in 1914 he was probably farming in 1911. My assumption may be incorrect. I ruled out any Mary Clancy on 1911 census who was too young to marry in 1914 and any too old to be the mother of the children born in 1915 & 1916. There were several young women called Mary Clancy who were servants or visitors so no way of knowing their fathers' names. There was also one with grandparents. It's also possible that the Mary Clancy who married Michael Keady in 1914 wasn't in Galway or even in Ireland  for 1911 census.
I found the Mary Clancy birth 1890 working from information on 1901 census.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 September 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
There is a Keady family living in Ballyanhowen in 1911 with an unmarried son Michael aged 33, father is John.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Furbogh/Ballynahown/457443/

The 1914 marriage
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1914/09867/5584131.pdf

Also in Ballyanhowen on 1911 census was the Curtin household, John & wife Louisa. John was a teacher.
Witnesses to wedding of Michael Keady and Mary Clancy were Martin Curtyre (?) and Ellen Hynes. Search for surname Curtyre on 1911 census drew a blank. I wondered if Martin's surname may have been Curtin?
Search for a Martin Curtyre on irish genealogy site, no result. However there was a birth registration for Martin Curtin 1884, parents John & Louisa. Martin's p.o.b. was Furbough which was John's residence. John was a school teacher. Birth was registered in Spiddal district, Galway Superintendent Registrar district.   https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie

Re the other witness Ellen Hynes. There was a John Hynes in the household of James Clancy at House 4 Shannafreaghoge townland on 1911 census. There were only 5 households in the townland.

Cowban

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 September 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Maiden Stone link=topic=801141.msg6587960#msg6587960

There were 2 sons of the marriage born 1915 & 1916. Were there more during the next 20 years?
[/quote

Wow well, Maiden stone that's one step forward and I'm off to check the full census results on that 

I did not find any births which including the mothers maiden name - but on what information you have given me I will try to follow on that . . .

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie

Enter Keady surname and births 1914-1916. Select Galway from list of districts. Results show mothers' maiden names, 2 of which were Clancy.

Cheers Maiden Stone - got it now thanks to you - were there others - well I will have to check right up to 1938 and as I do not have the forenames but I sure there will be a Bridget and a Mary named after their respected parents - grandparents - also of interest I have picked up on the Keady's and the Clancy's and a few other surnames that relate to both of these across to the USA . . . .  8)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 September 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
There is a Keady family living in Ballyanhowen in 1911 with an unmarried son Michael aged 33, father is John.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Furbogh/Ballynahown/457443/

The 1914 marriage
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1914/09867/5584131.pdf

Also in Ballyanhowen on 1911 census was the Curtin household, John & wife Louisa. John was a teacher.
Witnesses to wedding of Michael Keady and Mary Clancy were Martin Curtyre (?) and Ellen Hynes. Search for surname Curtyre on 1911 census drew a blank. I wondered if Martin's surname may have been Curtin?
Search for a Martin Curtyre on irish genealogy site, no result. However there was a birth registration for Martin Curtin 1884, parents John & Louisa. Martin's p.o.b. was Furbough which was John's residence. John was a school teacher. Birth was registered in Spiddal district, Galway Superintendent Registrar district.   https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie

Re the other witness Ellen Hynes. There was a John Hynes in the household of James Clancy at House 4 Shannafreaghoge townland on 1911 census. There were only 5 households in the townland.

Ha Ha Ha - it won't be long and we will be around the whole village - the name of the witness was a Martin Codyre - but thanks for the link to John Hynes this is all fitting in - cheers me dears . . .  :)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 September 18 17:00 BST (UK) »

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 September 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
I scribbled down Martin Thingy's name in tiny writing, then mis-read it. Examining my scrawl again now, I actually wrote Codyre.   :-[ Sorry about red herring.

Hynes would be a common name I think. That John I mentioned might have no connection.
Cowban

Offline GerardJoseph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 January 22 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Michael & Mary Keady - my grandparents- had 10 children.  They were next door neighbors in Furbo. Michael's family farm was in the Ballynahoun townland  & Mary's in Shaunarihogue townland (my spelling is not exact) but the two farmhouses only a few minutes apart so they grew up together. 

The Gibbons, (Mary's grandmother) owned a tea/coffee house in Galway city in the later part of the 19th century but everyone else, Clancys & Keadys were farmers. The Clancys were originally from County Clare but the story was, they were evicted from their land in the 19th century & moved  to farm in Furbo. There was a story that there are Keadys in Moycullen, county Galway  are related to the Furbo Keadys.  My great grandfather was John Keady who I think was the first to farm in Furbo. I think he died in around 1933

Michael & Mary had, 10 children, they were;

John 1915 -lived on the farm in Ballynahoun nearly all his life, bachelor died in the 1980s
Michael 1916 - same as John, took over the ownership of the farm when my grandfather Michael senior died I think in November 1955
Peter & Patrick (twins) 1917- Peter was a carpenter & married & raised a family in Ballybrit, Galway City. Pat was also a carpenter & moved to Hanwell, west London & raised a family there 
Briget/Delia 1919 - married Owen Coyne in the early 1950s & raised a family in County Galway
Thomas 1921 - moved in the 1950's to Evanston, Illinois & raised a family. He was a builder
Catherine 1923 (my mother) moved to London in the 1950s & married & raised a family
Mary 1925 -moved to the USA in the late 1940s, married Don who had a French Canadian background & raised a family in Connecticut.  I think Mary spent her last years in Utah
James 1927- moved with Tom to Chicago in the 1950's & raised a family there, His  last address was in Lake in the Hills which is on the outskirts of Chicago city
Theresa 1936- The baby of the family. she was convent educated in Galway, & moved to England where she ran her own hotels near Southend in Essex & later in Cornwall. She & her husband Tony (who was Danish) had a bad car accident in about 1993 & she later bought a home in Spain for retirement. She had no children

I never heard of a baby in 1938,  I  don't think my mother ever heard  of such a pregnancy.  The only way that could happen was if Delia got pregnant while living at the farm &  the baby was put in my grandmother, Mary's name & then adopted. But my mother would most likely notice the physical signs of pregnancy even if the matter was top secret & not discussed in front of the rest of the family.  My mother, Catherine, often talked about events when she was growing up & something like that would have been one  of her stories if it really happened 

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 January 22 17:10 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, GJ  :)

They were next door neighbors in Furbo. Michael's family farm was in the Ballynahoun townland  & Mary's in Shaunarihogue townland (my spelling is not exact) but the two farmhouses only a few minutes apart so they grew up together. 

After a bit of searching, here are the two townlands that you mention.

Baile na hAbhann (english Ballynahown) in Rahoon civil parish.
https://www.townlands.ie/galway/moycullen/rahoon/na-forbacha/baile-na-habhann/

.....and to the north and adjoining it, Shannafreaghoge townland.
https://www.townlands.ie/galway/moycullen/rahoon/na-forbacha/shannafreaghoge/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo