Author Topic: Looking for information on George BEERS of Sawley  (Read 2791 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on George BEERS of Sawley
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 September 18 08:41 BST (UK) »
This could be the first marriage of George Beers bc.1847 - George Beers, 20, son of William Beers, married Sarah Ann Bradley 21, 18/2/1867 Wessington, Derbyshire (Chesterfield regn. district). 

A son William Beers, mmn Bradley, birth reg'd Mar.1867 Chesterfield, death reg'd Jun.1867.
Looks like wife Sarah died as a result of childbirth - Sarah A. Beers bc.1848, d.Mar.1867 Chesterfield.

Have found a possible 1871 census entry at Unstone, Derbyshire:

George Beers  25     Collier     born Sorley, Derbyshire (think this should be Sawley)
Ellen Beers     32                   born South Wingfield, Derbyshire.
Annette

I too found this 1871 census (and most of other information posted) but have only just got back to it - but something is puzzling me

1871 (as posted by Annette)
Cravens(?) Buildings Unstone
George Beers 25 Collier Sorley
Ellen wife 32 S Wingfield
Thomas bates Lodger M 24 lab Belper
Ralph Wildgoose Lodger 22 S Collier
Henry Jones Lodger 31 Wessington
RG10 3624 62 5

then
1881 Town St Hucknall Huthwaite
George Beer Head M 38 Coal Miner Sawley Notts
Ellen wife Draperess S Wingfield Derbys
Sarah daughter 12 scholar S Wingfield
Elizabeth daughter 10 S Wingfield
Eliza daughter 7 Amber Row Derbys
George son 6 Amber Mill Derbys
James son 4 S Wingfield
RG11 3316 143 39

so where are daughters Sarah and Elizabeth in 1871????

another snippet of information
this looks like George (Henry) Beer's school admission
South Wingfield Infants
George Beers born 6 Feb 1874
father George Beers
address Whitehall
School admission 9/4/1877
Left 14/6/1877
(could this be the date they left the area to go to Hucknall Huthwaite??)

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 01 October 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
Well, at least there is a clear answer to who George BEERS married first, as Annette suggested and what happened to Sarah and their firstborn, William:

This could be the first marriage of George Beers bc.1847 - George Beers, 20, son of William Beers, married Sarah Ann Bradley 21, 18/2/1867 Wessington, Derbyshire (Chesterfield regn. district). 

A son William Beers, mmn Bradley, birth reg'd Mar.1867 Chesterfield, death reg'd Jun.1867.
Looks like wife Sarah died as a result of childbirth - Sarah A. Beers bc.1848, d.Mar.1867 Chesterfield.

George BEERS = Sarah Ann BRADLEY (Md: 18 Feb 1867) ... Age is given as 21?

William BEERS - Born: March 1867 - Died: April 1867 - Buried: 27th April 1867 - Aged 4 weeks

Sarah Ann BEERS - Died March 1867 - Buried: Wessington, Derbyshire 30th Mar 1867 - Age given as 19?

Sarah Ann died before William. Two years age difference for Sarah Ann between ages given at marriage and burial.

Still looking for George's apparent second wife, the mysterious Ellen. I've not come across a marriage yet, just noted from Census returns that Ellen was apparently seven years older than George, which makes the number of children shown on the 1881 & 1891 Census another interesting thought, and the fact that Ellen would have still been bearing children approaching her early fifties, when giving birth to Thomas, Frederick and possibly Ellen (three of the children shown on the 1891 Census) when the family was in Ilkeston.

In a recent post Suzard asks "where daughters Sarah and Elizabeth were" after the 1871 Census when George and Ellen appeared on the Census in Unstone? The same question might also be asked concerning some of the later children..............I acknowledge that elements of the above have already been mentioned in earlier posts............but, the confusion and the mystery continues.

Alan
FLINT, ALLEN, SHIPLEY, SIMS, RADFORD, BUNTING, ALLSOP

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 01 October 18 22:25 BST (UK) »
Re my last post in which I commented on the 'mysterious' Ellen. I mentioned the fact that the 1871 & 1881 Census listed her as being about seven years older than George BEERS. George's birth was registered in 1846 but according to the Census entries in which Ellen appears, I calculate that she is estimated to have been born around 1839/1840.

There is a death recorded for an Ellen BEERS in Mansfield Registration District in 1883. That would include Hucknall under Huthwaite, where Ellen & George were recorded as living during the 1881 Census. At the time of her death, the Ellen listed on the 1883 Index is listed as age 43. That would just about fit with the suggested birthdate.

Another interesting aspect is that on the 1891 Census there is a daughter to George BEERS, called Ellen, listed as 18 years old. Her age on the 1891 C would put her birth date around 1883 (the same year as the older Ellen's death. Could that reflect another death following childbirth?

The strange thing is that on the 1881 Census the 'child' Ellen's age is given as 2 years old. Most peculiar, a 16 year age difference between the 1881 & 1891!

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that some members of the BEERS family were not careful about total accuracy on such official forms.

Given the death date for Ellen senior, it's no doubt safe to ignore my previous comment about her approaching 50 and still bearing children.

I have been backwards and forwards through what I thought might be the relevant years of the South Wingfield Registers but have not come up with any clues as to Ellen's family name. I have therefore sent off for the PDF version of George Henry BEERS birth registration, in the hope that it may clarify the peculiar name on the GRO indexes. Well, I can at least hope!

I'm sorry if all this is becoming a bit tedious as you will have plenty of other desperate souls to help.

Regards,

Alan

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 22:15 BST (UK) »

Another interesting aspect is that on the 1891 Census there is a daughter to George BEERS, called Ellen, listed as 18 years old. Her age on the 1891 C would put her birth date around 1883 (the same year as the older Ellen's death. Could that reflect another death following childbirth?

The strange thing is that on the 1881 Census the 'child' Ellen's age is given as 2 years old. Most peculiar, a 16 year age difference between the 1881 & 1891!

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that some members of the BEERS family were not careful about total accuracy on such official forms.

Regards,

Alan

I think you have your census years a little muddled
If George Beers had a daughter Ellen listed as age 18 in 1891 that would put her y.o.b. c.1873 not 1883
Ellen daughter of George Beers is age 18 on 1901 census
on 1891 census her age is transcribed as 1 on one site and 2 on another - the enumerator has not filled the census in very clearly -image to me at first glance looks like age 2 but on closer study I think it is 8 (kind of scribbled and on its side)

The birth of Ellen is registered mar qtr 1883 and the most probable death of her mother Mar qtr 1883 -so it does seem a possible death in childbirth -only purchase of the death certificate will tell
My family always believed my Great Grandmother died giving birth to my Grandmother - purchasing the death certificate showed she died 2 months after my Gran was born (both reg same quarter) she died of consumption having been suffering for 18 months!
By the way My Grandmother had her first child when she was 18 and she was 47 when my father was born !

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 08 October 18 21:34 BST (UK) »
I think you have your census years a little muddled.....

If George Beers had a daughter Ellen listed as age 18 in 1891 that would put her y.o.b. c.1873 not 1883
Ellen daughter of George Beers is age 18 on 1901 census
on 1891 census her age is transcribed as 1 on one site and 2 on another - the enumerator has not filled the census in very clearly -image to me at first glance looks like age 2 but on closer study I think it is 8 (kind of scribbled and on its side)

I think that you were right on all counts!! I did muddle things up, didn't I? Apologies. I had spent so much time looking at this whole query, that I just had to lay it down for a few days. I applied for the George Henry BEERS birth certificate (pdf) version, in the hope that the situation re Ellen, his mother, may have become a little clearer.

Having received it today, the only thing I can say is that I am convinced you are right and that Ellen's maiden name was HAWKSLEY, although it is clearly shown on the birth certificate as HOAKSLEY (which you and others have consistently said).

George Henry's dob was 9th Feb 1874. His place of birth is given as Amber Mill, Wessington. That is nearer South Wingfield than Wessington

I have been backwards and forwards in several parish records including South Wingfield and nearby Wessington baptismal records, but nothing!

Also, still can't find a marriage between father George and mother Ellen. Ah well, will keep thinking and hoping something turns up.

Regards,

Alan