Author Topic: Worshipable order mercers  (Read 1805 times)

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Worshipable order mercers
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 November 18 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ringading

The 10 people I mentioned were only within the Mercers Estate - four other estates cover the south Derry area of which Magherafelt is the main town with many more Campbells. A quick look at the census for 1831 (see link in my previous post) shows 19 households where James Campbell is the head of the family, including two in Maghera town (both Presbyterian). The town Campbell households in the census in Moneymore town (in the Parishes of Ardrea and Desertlyn) are headed by Anne and George respectively. There is also a James Campbell living in Magherafelt town itself on Charity Street. This family was Church of Ireland and included 4 males and 6 females (names of family members not recorded in 1831 census). Of the 19 families, 8 were Presbyterian, 6 Church of Ireland and 5 Roman Catholic. If you know what Church your family belonged to this will help cut down the options.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ringading

What name/townland were you looking for - I have a tenant list for 1843 with over 900 names

Could I be so bold to ask for a look up of families by name of Sweeny and Tohill on the estate in Culnagrew townland?

I came across your post trying to source records for the Mercers' estate.

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 19:25 GMT (UK) »
No problem - only one, a "Widow Sweeny" is listed, but no Tohills in 1843. There was a Peter Toghill in Culnagrew in 1768 paying rent of £7: 2s: 4 1/2d. There are no Sweenys in the earlier rental.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 19:28 GMT (UK) »
No problem - only one, a "Widow Sweeny" is listed, but no Tohills in 1843. There was a Peter Toghill in Culnagrew in 1768 paying rent of £7: 2s: 4 1/2d. There are no Sweenys in the earlier rental.

Brilliant stuff. Thankyou very much ;D