Author Topic: Census, 2 places at once??  (Read 1826 times)

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Census, 2 places at once??
« on: Friday 28 September 18 13:16 BST (UK) »
Is it uncommon or even possible for people to be on more then one census in the same year???

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Census, 2 places at once??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 September 18 13:21 BST (UK) »
No it is not uncommon.  There would be no way of checking whether someone had been entered in two different locations. We have to remember it was a record of where someone was staying for one night in a year so could be listed at their home address though staying elsewhere (or similar.)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 September 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
I have one naval man who was aboard ship in harbour and also at home with his wife.
It's possible he spent part of the night in each place, depending on the times of his duty watch.

A great-uncle was at home; at first sight he appears also to have been with his regiment, but against his name it says "on leave".  One wonders why they listed him at all.  Perhaps the officer detailed to fill in the forms just wrote down all the names, then held a roll-call.

A great-aunt and her sons were at home in GB and also apparently in India with her husband.  However, he was soon afterwards discharged from the army as insane: shall we say the heat got at him?

We were counted twice in 1961: on holiday in the Republic of Ireland and at home a week later.  One would think there could have been more coordination between the countries, but perhaps an equal number went in the other direction and slipped through the net altogether.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 September 18 22:12 BST (UK) »
As Rosie says, it's is not uncommon as all. It happened for various reasons, and there was no way to check if it had happened.
I have come across it several times, and there have been posts about it here on Rootschat before.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 October 18 11:20 BST (UK) »
I can't remember without checking my notes which family it is but I seem to remember finding members of the same Travelling group recorded twice, in 1851 in Buckinghamshire IIRC.

They were enumerated at place one and then it looks like some of the group - because there are less of them on the other entry - moved on to place two a few miles away and the second enumerator sent to local constable down to the camp to collect the information, as it says something like "information obtain by PC someone" if you look at the image.

I only found this because I always go to the end of an enumerator's section and see if he's enumerated any interesting people there. Doing that I've recently found a couple of suffragettes who were trying to legally defy the enumerator in 1911 by not being in a building on Census night but he found them "wandering on the highway" and so each is enumerated with that information for the address.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 October 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
 I remember that at the time of the 1951 census when we were staying with my aunt and uncle in Cambridge, my uncle insisted that we should be recorded there, and added us to the list, while Dad correctly pointed out to no avail, that the rules had been changed from earlier censuses and that people on holiday now registered at their home addresses.

So, my descendants may find that the family is registered twice in 1951, once at Boston (correct) and once at Cambridge.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 October 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
Is it uncommon or even possible for people to be on more then one census in the same year???

As the census forms were distributed in the week before the census day, it could have been filled in at anytime assuming who would be in the "house" at midnight on the Sunday. Therefore you sometimes get people enumerated twice, at their usual "home",  and at a "house" they happened to be visiting. This is a fairly common event and has been mentioned many times before on RootsChat.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 October 18 16:32 BST (UK) »
I have a great great uncle, his wife and their two servant/lodger on the 1881 census  on two separate census returns living in different villages ( about 5 miles apart)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 17:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for the information, sorry for late reply... I believe this 1911 Census to have a great number of Wiltshire I have been researching, I find many of them all in other places tho, which had me a bit confused, thank you for clearing up.

Civil parish
Chesterfield

Search Photos
Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England

County/Island
Derbyshire

Country
England

Street Address
Fair Ground Brampton Chesterfield

Registration district
Chesterfield