Author Topic: Elizabeth Andrews 1735  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Andrews 1735
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for your interest. I thought I knew her father was John, but on thinking about it, I have no evidence, nor was he MP for Devizes!
Elizabeth/Eliza/Bessy/Betty married George Baillie (né Hamilton) on 12th May 1757 at St Michael in Bath, I discover from FreeReg, and one of the witnesses was a Townsend Andrews, the other Catherine Andrews. Townsend can't be the MP, as he died in 1737, but possibly his son; Catherine is probably either his mother or his sister. Searches for children of Townsend the MP come up with Catherine chr. 1731, Thomas chr 1732, Townsend chr 1733 and Sarah 1736, all at St Martin in the Fields, but no Elizabeth!
Hard evidence gleaned from letters is that her father is dead before 1757, mother is alive, grandfather has 'creditors', and father was a close friend of John Garth, who was MP for Devizes.
Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Andrews 1735
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Just to conclude this query, I have now discovered, in Eliza Andrews' own handwriting, that she was born May 13th 1735 and 'my sister Katherine was born March 24th 1731, my brother Townsend was born March 14th 1733, my sister Sarah October 24th 1737'. (No mention of Thomas, who must have died young. Why her siblings made it into St Martin in the Fields registers and Eliza didn't is a mystery.

Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram