Author Topic: John Joseph Nolan  (Read 5962 times)

Offline Bigdog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Joseph Nolan
« on: Friday 28 September 18 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been searching off and on for my Grandfather John Joseph Nolan, for some 25 years. The only facts that I have are from John Joseph's (JJ) marriage certificate dated Nov 1915, where his father is recorded as Edward Nolan (deceased).
Various jobs and documents have seen his date of birth change from 1884 to 15/3/1888. Initially he stated his birth place as Wexford, and later introduced Ballykelly.
Whilst this seemed vague, Mr late father remembered being stopped by the local policeman and asked his name, the policeman PC. Rice said that he had gone to the same sweetshop and school as JJ. I traced the policeman to Suttons Parish, New Ross, which when I asked google, I found is partly overlapped by Ballykelly. Mike Rice's DOB is 11/5/1898, and before moving to South Wales had been a soldier in the Irish Guards, having been shot in both legs!
Family stories passed to me by my father (his son), say that he claimed to have been raised by an aunt (probably the Ballykelly link) who became housekeeper for the American ambassador. This throws the whole of Wexford as being where he could have been born.
He came from a large family, with one brother a Catholic Priest, another was said to be a ships Captain. When in New York, it was said he walked past the Catholic church where his brother was the priest - the are 23 parishes in New York and help was offered if I could identify the parish. I have neither the parish nor the Priests name. JJ did visit Canada and New York at least once. He even applied for American citizenship which I hold - but did not go through with. He returned regularly to Ireland to visit family - no one knew where he went or who he visited - but a 'cousin' was said to manage the local CO-OP - a dead end for me. Hence in my 25 year search I have not got very far.
I believe that someone somewhere will know of him, and of his family that I am trying to trace. My enquiries have included the Wexford registrars, all of the various genealogy sites and several helpful individuals
Any help that nayone can provide, would be most appreciated.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Joseph Nolan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 September 18 21:20 BST (UK) »
If you estimate father born c.1864 .... have you looked for Death of father on Civil Reg??

You have  John Joseph's (JJ) marriage certificate dated Nov 1915.... what townland??

Death results for edward nolan from 1884 to 1915
Area - New Ross   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ms9/

Displaying results 1 - 4 of 4.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 September 18 21:27 BST (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 September 18 21:33 BST (UK) »
You have his Marriage cert but give no clues as to job or townland or country etc.....

Is he on 1911 Census?

Did he marry in Ireland??

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 September 18 21:47 BST (UK) »
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0575

Suttons parish registers link.

Welcome to Rootschat Bigdog.

Offline Bigdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 September 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
First, thanks to all of you who have taken the trouble to help me.
Apologies for not providing more details, John Joseph referred to himself as the blacksheep of the family, and I referred only to Wexford, as everything else refers to S.Wales.
Other than his regular trips 'home' where ever that might have been!
When John Joseph returned from America, he arrived in London, November 1915. I have the dates and ships name etc. Within 12 days he had married Sarah Whilimina Ida Dawes (on the 1911 Wales Census she is shown as Davies not Dawes) on 16/11/1915, in a registry office in Hafodyrynys, S.Wales.
He is on the 1911 Wales Census as Jo Nolan, living in Mountain Ash, again S.Wales and working on the railways. It is this entry that threw me for several years as my good friend 'google' told me that Ballykelly, was in N.Ireland. I now know better.
My problem with the 1901 census is that I am looking for a John Joseph Nolan aged 13-17, who has a father Edward Nolan, who may already be dead and is unlikely to be on the census anyway. As John Joseph claims to have been raised by an aunt, whose name I do not know, but believe it was located around Suttons Parish / Ballykelly. I was unable to obtain potential names of housekeepers from the American Embassy in Dublin. I therefor have no other names or locations to go on.
It is a distinct possibility that I already hold details of his family, but have nothing to confirm it. I even tried to find if 'Nolan Transport', had any connection - but they blanked me, and I don't blame them.
I have now trying to find if there is a register or record of Catholic priests. My aim is to look for those with the Nolan surname and hopefully look for any that relocated in New York USA. If I can find anyone to match this, I believe that I may then have a link to the family that I am searching for.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 September 18 23:16 BST (UK) »
 Death results for edward nolan from 1884 to 1915
Area - New Ross   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ms9/

Displaying results 1 - 4 of 4.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 September 18 23:28 BST (UK) »
Have you checked deaths for mother??

Have you checked deaths for father??

Have you checked deaths for any siblings??

Death results for Nolan of New Ross from 1884 to 1899  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01msb/

Obviously you can rule many out by ages!!

I know you don't know mother's name.....but did father register it??  etc etc

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 September 18 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been searching off and on for my Grandfather John Joseph Nolan, for some 25 years. The only facts that I have are from John Joseph's (JJ) marriage certificate dated Nov 1915, where his father is recorded as Edward Nolan (deceased).
Various jobs and documents have seen his date of birth change from 1884 to 15/3/1888. Initially he stated his birth place as Wexford, and later introduced Ballykelly.
Whilst this seemed vague, Mr late father remembered being stopped by the local policeman and asked his name, the policeman PC. Rice said that he had gone to the same sweetshop and school as JJ. I traced the policeman to Suttons Parish, New Ross, which when I asked google, I found is partly overlapped by Ballykelly. Mike Rice's DOB is 11/5/1898, and before moving to South Wales had been a soldier in the Irish Guards, having been shot in both legs!
Family stories passed to me by my father (his son), say that he claimed to have been raised by an aunt (probably the Ballykelly link) who became housekeeper for the American ambassador. This throws the whole of Wexford as being where he could have been born.

He came from a large family, 

So have you found any with father Edward??