Author Topic: Place of birth on census  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Place of birth on census
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 September 18 12:36 BST (UK) »
My gg grandfather's POB is given on most documents as London but a couple of census returns have him as Hanover. I would have dismissed these if my great aunt hadn't once told my mother that he was German.

On the other hand SWMBO's family in the Yorkshire Dales often very conveniently give the actual names of the farms.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 September 18 23:16 BST (UK) »
Your stories sounds fascinating.... I love hearing about other people's genealogy and why certain things happened in the past.

I have noticed there were instances where the farm names were recorded in Census which is good for research reasons.

I did wonder if my ancestor put down a different place of birth initially because she was underage when she married her husband during a runaway wedding at Gretna Green. Perhaps a way to avoid being detected by her family?
Stewarts from Moffat and Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Twaddles and Wrights from County Longford, Ireland.
Weirs from Ayrshire, Scotland.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 September 18 23:27 BST (UK) »

1851, his father 1792 to 1857 correctly gave his pob as Mitcheltroy, Mon. His wife initially gave ditto. That was crossed out and T abby (Tintern Abbey) substituted. Why was this?

Don't forget that the copies we see are not the original census forms fileld in by the householders,but ones that the enumerator transcribed into some sort of house by house order.

There is of course the option for him to have made mistakes ,and as they often had their day jobs to do during the daytime,these men could have been copying page after page onto summary sheets at night with only candle light to work by.

I expect they also had trouble reading people's writing too.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk