Author Topic: Gedmatch "matches"?  (Read 767 times)

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gedmatch "matches"?
« on: Saturday 29 September 18 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi. I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction, please? I'm trying to get my head around my "top matches" and am having problems:

The kit, A548592 (female), has top matches with T450072 H537641 H645922 T766300. The "T" kits are mother & son; the "H" are mother and daughter. Other members of both of these (T&H)families have been tested yet appear to have no shared DNA with "A". There is no triangulation. Tier 1 utilities with default settings were used. What, if anything, can be interpreted from these results, please. None of us can establish where the connection has occurred although it might stem from Scottish migrants to both Canada & Australia.

Total Cm ranges from 54-81; largest segment ranges from 29-38 across "T & H"

Any suggestions for what I might do next, please? Although there appear to be innumerable segment matches & triangulation groups (despite multiple sibling tests and duplicates tests from other companies), I need to toddle before walk before run!

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gedmatch "matches"?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 September 18 07:01 BST (UK) »
squawki11, have you uploaded to myheritageDNA and familytreeDNA?

The H matches have tested at myheritage, the T matches at familytreeDNA and may have uploaded to each site as well as Gedmatch.

myheritageDNA tools are a bit easier to use than Gedmatch, you don't have to keep entering different kit numbers, the work is done for you, at ftDNA you will have to pay a small fee to use chromosome matching.

"Other members of both of these (T&H)families have been tested yet appear to have no shared DNA with "A"."

Have you tried lowering the cM threshold at Gedmatch to see if they appear as more distant matches? How close are they to the original T and H matches - are they also sons/daughters of the T and H parents?

This is something to work on, but no obvious answer.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 September 18 07:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the response. I'm trying to get the basics sorted before getting in over my head. As far as I can work out the other "T" & "H" family members are close and I would have thought they, too, would have shared some DNA with "A". As you suggested, I'll lower the default below 7cm and look at the results.

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 September 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
Interesting...lowering the threshold to 1 gave a result of largest segment 5cm and another of 3cm. I understand that some "experts" advocate binning of anything below 7cm while others say "keep them, they're important". I did think that there ought to be a connection associated with Scots emigrating to Canada and Australia...
I'll pass it on for the other party to scrutinise.

Am I getting the hang of this...?

Many thanks