Author Topic: Unusual annotation on 1939 Register  (Read 3683 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual annotation on 1939 Register
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 October 18 10:54 GMT (UK) »
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8090200
Reginald Whittaker Allen divorced Laura May Lilian Allen in 1937, naming co-respondent as William J Beard.

There is no sign of a marriage between Laura and William though...
The child born 1940 (I will remove the name as they may still be living) was presumably theirs but the nature of the indexing suggests they weren't legally married at that point.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jenburd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 February 19 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

Thank you all so much for your help!!  This adopted family has certainly been interesting working out who is who and how they're connected.

I have ordered the marriage certificate for my Nan's natural parents William John Beard and Margaret Smith.

I was wondering if it could be something like Laura (1912) slept with William and it bought shame on the family, but to allow William access to his daughter (my Nan Joan) he could, but under the guise of 'Uncle Bill'.  I don't know if that's just my mind getting carried away, but something strange happened that's for sure.

I have been spending time tracing Georgina and Harry's family back, but I really need to figure out what happened and for the childhood years of my Nan's life who brought her up.

Again thank you to everyone for your help - it is very much appreciated.

Jenny
Smith, Hodgson, Beard, Hobby, Hyde

Offline Jenburd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 February 19 23:29 GMT (UK) »
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8090200
Reginald Whittaker Allen divorced Laura May Lilian Allen in 1937, naming co-respondent as William J Beard.

There is no sign of a marriage between Laura and William though...
The child born 1940 (I will remove the name as they may still be living) was presumably theirs but the nature of the indexing suggests they weren't legally married at that point.

Jorose - I cannot believe it has taken me til now to see your reply!!  You have literally just given me some of the answers I have been looking for.  That Divorce Court File blatantly says Laura was having an affair with William (I sadly had to Google what Co-Respondent means in a divorce).  So that makes my idea of William being allowed to see my Nan but under the guise of Uncle Bill correct.
Smith, Hodgson, Beard, Hobby, Hyde