Author Topic: George Martin/Martyn of Dover  (Read 459 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
George Martin/Martyn of Dover
« on: Saturday 29 September 18 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am hoping someone can help me identify a marriage for my ancestor George Martin [also spelt Martyn] of Dover.

George had 7 children born in Dover between 1605 and 1612, these were:

William - born 1605
Elizabeth - born 1606
John - born 1607
Frances - born 1609
Edward - born 1610 died 1612
Margaret - born 1611
Alice - born 1612

The problem is that there is no mother named on any of the christenings that I can see. It looks like George died in March 1620/21 however I have so far not been able to find a marriage or christening for him.

John Martin appears to have married Mary Adison/Adeson in 1632 by licence. In the licence he is described as a butcher and I suspect this may also be his father's occupation.

So far I have found four possible marriages for George, all of which appear to have taken place by licence.

In 1602 a "George Marten, of Folkestone, butcher" married "Alice Hooker of Hythe" at Alkham.

In 1609 a "George Martin of Beauxfield, yeoman" married "Ann Hogben of Ewell, widow" in Canterbury.

Lastly there is a "George Martin, of St James in Dover, butcher" who married "Alice Martin, of the same place, widow" at Whitfield in 1613.

All of these places are close to Dover, within about 4 miles or so, and Whitfield itself is about 2 miles from Dover.

It is possible that the George who married in 1602 and the one who married in 1613 are the same person given the proximity of the places mentioned and the fact that both are described as butchers.

What I am trying to work out is, are these marriages all for the same George Martin? I think that the first of these marriages might be the one I am looking for, but the 1609 and 1613 marriages may also be later marriages for him. However George is not described as a widower on the marriage licence index so this may not be the case.

Is anyone able to help me work out which (if any) of these might be my George? I suspect George was probably born in the 1670s or 1680s. Also if anyone can identify a christening for him or possible burials for any of the 'possible' wives listed above it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt