Author Topic: James Deacon in Berkshire conundrum  (Read 7202 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Deacon in Berkshire conundrum
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 00:06 BST (UK) »
This is what I have.

Children of James (1772) and Sarah (Harris)

1800  James
1803  Isaac
1805  William
1807  Charles
1809  Abraham
1810  Jacob
1812  Mary
1813  Joseph
1815  Mary Ann
1817  Cornelius
1821  Richard
--------------------
Children of James (1787) & Sarah

1815  William
1817  James
1819  Martha
1821  Ann
1824  Thomas
1826  Henry
1829  Jesse
1833  Amos
---------------
1850  Martha - from second marriage to Hannah Binham
-------------------------------------
Children of James (1800) and Elizabeth (Hearne)

1823  Martha
1826  Harriet
1827  Alfred
1829  Ann
1831  Abraham
1834  George
1837  Sarah
1839  Emma
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
This investigation stems from a marriage between William Deacon and Mary Ann Deacon, they both share the grandparents - James and Sarah.

William and Mary Ann have a son Joseph Butler Deacon b.1874, the GRO says his mother's maiden name is Deacon.

William's father is Jacob b.1810 to James and Sarah
Mary Ann's father is Joseph b.1813 to James and Sarah

Yes, you are correct - William and Mary Ann were first cousins.  This was William's second marriage.
Let me know if I can be of any further help.  I have a Deacon family tree which has been compiled by someone else, but it is a little difficult to follow as he didn't use a genealogy software programme.
We haven't identified the other Sarah either, but I haven't looked very far as yet.

There are MIs for Mary Ann and her parents Joseph and Charlotte, and also for James (1800) and Elizabeth, but none for the other two James Deacons.  So the entry on FindaGrave is spurious.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline innerspark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that is brilliant.

It is good to know that the couple William and Mary Ann are first cousins. It was my first thought, but I didn't know how to confirm it.

The other thing I am trying to figure out is a marriage or name of a spouse.

A son of James and Sarah Harris - Jacob Deacon b.1810 with an Elizabeth (unknown maiden name) has possibly 12 children....

1834 – Martha Deacon christened 5th January, East Ilsey
1835 – William Deacon christened 11th October, East Ilsey
1837 – Mary Deacon christened 26th March, she dies age 7 in 1844, buried 8th December, St Mary, f – labourer
1839 – Elizabeth Deacon born, mmn – Deacon, she dies age 5 in 1844, East Ilsey, buried 8th December
1841 – Sarah Deacon born, she dies age 3 in 1844, buried 9th December
1842 – Hannah/ Ann  Deacon
1844 – Alfred Deacon born (Deacon)
1846 – Rebecca Deacon christened 31st May, St Mary’s Church, East Ilsey, Father – Labourer
1848 – Tryphena Deacon christened 13th August, St Mary,  Jacob and Elizabeth, labourer, mmn - Deacon
1850 – Abraham Deacon born (mmn – Deacon)
1852 – Harriet Deacon christened 29th August, St Mary, East Ilsey, Father – Jacob Deacon, labourer, residence – Worldsend, Hampstead Norreys  (mmn – Deacon)
1855 – Sarah Ann Deacon christened 25th March, Sutton Courtenay

I checked on GRO and some of them list the mother's maiden name as Deacon, I haven't found a marriage yet between Jacob and Elizabeth

They appear on the 1841 Census with a Mary Stanmore (age 80), but there doesn't seem to be other links (yet)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
Yes, the children check out with the tree.  I'll have a scout around for a marriage, but it wouldn't be a surprise if they were cousins of some sort, as the Deacons go back a long way in the village and were very prolific.  No sign of Jacob's marriage in the banns either.  I'll mention it to the tree compiler when I see him and ask if he has any more clues.

Re the 1841 census, they are at Ashridge which is/was an outlying farm so there may not be a family connection between all the occupiers.

Oh wait - he's in the Notes on Parishioners, which gives a clue.  Perhaps we should be looking at Chieveley, although Beedon church is closer to Ashridge.

Deacon, Jacob             
Farmer at Ashridge, tenant to Wasey Esq.  Family, respectable, generally goes to Chieveley Church as nearer family home.

Bpt. 18 Nov 1810, s/o James & Sarah.  Married Elizabeth (b. Blewbury?).  Bd. Sutton Courtenay 4 Nov 1887 aged 77.  Elizabeth was bd. Sutton Courtenay 26 Oct 1874 aged 64.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 21:23 BST (UK) »
Just a minute .....

James & Sarah (Stanmore)  baptise a daughter Betty at Blewberry in 1809
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JSJN-J8D

Could this be the Elizabeth that married Jacob?  She gives Blewbury as her birthplace in the 1861 census and she is the right age. 
And a Stanmore connection.
Sarah Stanmore's parents were William and Mary.  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JWD8-9S9
Bingo!  I bet Mary's her grandmother.

There were also Stanmore families in East Ilsley.  But this James Deacon wasn't baptised there - up to 1812 there are only the three we have already discussed.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 08:55 BST (UK) »

The information on findagrave is 'fiction' needing confirmation, a bit like someones online tree without source information.  It is not information taken from the gravestone.

Too right. And even if the people are on a memorial inscription, I have found gravestones where there have been huge and incorrect assumptions of relationships between people buried in same plot or commemorated on same gravestone. And I don't know where they get the genealogical information from!

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
so, a general question...why are there errors among different sources?

I understand that ages in censuses vary, so why does the findagrave site list Henry and Amos as children? when it is quite likely that they have different parents.

Also the 1841 census does not give relationships. My OH's 2 x great grandfather was orphaned at 5 years old and living with uncle and aunt in 1841, but several on line trees have him listed as son not nephew, because they have just assumed any child listed under two adults must be their son or daughter.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline innerspark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 14:03 BST (UK) »
Just a minute .....

James & Sarah (Stanmore)  baptise a daughter Betty at Blewberry in 1809
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JSJN-J8D

Could this be the Elizabeth that married Jacob?  She gives Blewbury as her birthplace in the 1861 census and she is the right age. 
And a Stanmore connection.
Sarah Stanmore's parents were William and Mary.  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JWD8-9S9
Bingo!  I bet Mary's her grandmother.

There were also Stanmore families in East Ilsley.  But this James Deacon wasn't baptised there - up to 1812 there are only the three we have already discussed.

Yes, that looks like it, thank you

There seems to be an incredible amount of Deacons in the area. I know people often married within the family anyway, but this seems to be a lot, especially for what looks like a small parish...there's 3 marriages between Deacons (probably more)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 18:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, but the first Deacons in the PR are about 1637 I think, so given that they had large families and most of them seem to have stayed around the area, it's not surprising that there was a multiplication of Deacons! 

Do let us know if you find out the provenance of the Blewbury James Deacon.  Blewbury is only 3 or 4 miles across the Downs from East Ilsley, a little further by road.  And it would be good to identify the other Sarah.