Author Topic: James Deacon in Berkshire conundrum  (Read 7229 times)

Offline innerspark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Deacon in Berkshire conundrum
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 04 October 18 10:42 BST (UK) »
Yes, I will keep researching to see what I can find. Thank you

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I am also interested in the Deacon family of Chieveley, as I believe Jenny Deacon bp. 1735 daughter of Thomas was my 4x ggrandmother, would be grateful for any other details of the Deacon family at this period.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Westfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I would be interested in hearing more about the Deacons of East Ilsley too. I think our ancestor William was brother to James. He was married to a Mary Allder of Compton - I can find absolutely nothing about her! The spelling of the Deacon name appears to change too.
Cashmore, Ward, Durham of Stone, Staffs
Wood (Hanley, Shelton) Bedson (Stoke)
Deacon (Stoke, Reading, Swindon) Freeman/Powis (Stoke, Shropshire, Cheshire)
Leigh (Stoke)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 03 January 20 20:50 GMT (UK) »
I would be interested in hearing more about the Deacons of East Ilsley too. I think our ancestor William was brother to James. He was married to a Mary Allder of Compton - I can find absolutely nothing about her! The spelling of the Deacon name appears to change too.
Can you give us some dates for William, please - not sure which James you mean. 
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Westfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 04 January 20 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Can you give us some dates for William, please - not sure which James you mean. 

Er - two of them at least! The James Deacon (Chr 05 Apr 1772) who married Sarah Harris, had an older brother, William (Chr 29 Jul 1759) He married Elizabeth Franklin and they had four children (that I know of) William in 1782 and James in 1787. The 'Williams' are our ancestors. The younger went on to have a son William (known as Henry) and HE had a son - William Henry! And we wonder how we get confused! Oh BTW on looking this up I have finally discovered Mary Alder's (Allder) line. Oh and thanks for the link to the East Ilsley Local History Society, I have just ordered a booklet about the place.
Cashmore, Ward, Durham of Stone, Staffs
Wood (Hanley, Shelton) Bedson (Stoke)
Deacon (Stoke, Reading, Swindon) Freeman/Powis (Stoke, Shropshire, Cheshire)
Leigh (Stoke)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 04 January 20 23:34 GMT (UK) »
I've sent you a PM with details of someone who may be able to help.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Frank Toms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 17 June 21 19:30 BST (UK) »
The other thing I am trying to figure out is a marriage or name of a spouse.

A son of James and Sarah Harris - Jacob Deacon b.1810 with an Elizabeth (unknown maiden name) has possibly 12 children....

1834 – Martha Deacon christened 5th January, East Ilsey
1835 – William Deacon christened 11th October, East Ilsey
1837 – Mary Deacon christened 26th March, she dies age 7 in 1844, buried 8th December, St Mary, f – labourer
1839 – Elizabeth Deacon born, mmn – Deacon, she dies age 5 in 1844, East Ilsey, buried 8th December
1841 – Sarah Deacon born, she dies age 3 in 1844, buried 9th December
1842 – Hannah/ Ann  Deacon
1844 – Alfred Deacon born (Deacon)
1846 – Rebecca Deacon christened 31st May, St Mary’s Church, East Ilsey, Father – Labourer
1848 – Tryphena Deacon christened 13th August, St Mary,  Jacob and Elizabeth, labourer, mmn - Deacon
1850 – Abraham Deacon born (mmn – Deacon)
1852 – Harriet Deacon christened 29th August, St Mary, East Ilsey, Father – Jacob Deacon, labourer, residence – Worldsend, Hampstead Norreys  (mmn – Deacon)
1855 – Sarah Ann Deacon christened 25th March, Sutton Courtenay

I checked on GRO and some of them list the mother's maiden name as Deacon, I haven't found a marriage yet between Jacob and Elizabeth

They appear on the 1841 Census with a Mary Stanmore (age 80), but there doesn't seem to be other links (yet)

Just a minute .....

James & Sarah (Stanmore)  baptise a daughter Betty at Blewberry in 1809
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JSJN-J8D

Could this be the Elizabeth that married Jacob?  She gives Blewbury as her birthplace in the 1861 census and she is the right age. 
And a Stanmore connection.
Sarah Stanmore's parents were William and Mary.  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JWD8-9S9
Bingo!  I bet Mary's her grandmother.

There were also Stanmore families in East Ilsley.  But this James Deacon wasn't baptised there - up to 1812 there are only the three we have already discussed.

Hi, I'm following up on the above as part of my tree, and I've seen quite a few trees with Elizabeth Stanmore as Jacob's wife. But the children have Deacon as their mother's maiden name on GRO, Stanmore is nowhere to be seen in the Wantage district at that time, and there is a marriage (attached) that lists a Betty Deacon as spouse just before they have their first child. Betty = Elizabeth, but I don't see how this can be Elizabeth Stanmore, unless she had already married a Deacon previously?

If anyone has a tree they can share that might help work it out, I can't make mine public at the moment because it has some 'sensitive' bits in other areas of the family.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 17 June 21 20:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry, we've confused you. 

James and Sarah Deacon baptised a daughter Betty at Blewbury in 1809.

Stanmore is Sarah's maiden name.  I followed her back and found that her parents were William & Mary Stanmore, which tied in with a Mary Stanmore (80) being at Ashridge Farm with Jacob & Elizabeth Deacon in 1841.  She is probably Elizabeth/Betty's maternal grandmother.

That's great to see her named as Betty!  Where was the marriage?

Offline Frank Toms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 17 June 21 20:53 BST (UK) »
Ah okay, I'll get there eventually. :)

That marriage was at Rotherfield Greys, Henley On Thames, so 20 miles away from East Illsley - not outwith the realm of possibility but you've got me questioning it now though. Elizabeth and Deacon are really commons names back then, Abraham less so but I'll do some digging to make sure I've not got the wrong people.

Someone mentioned a booklet produced by the East Ilsley Family History Society about the Deacon family in particular, does anyone have it or a link to where I can buy it online?

And being new to this I'm a bit lost once the birth records run out in 1837 - what's the best way of tracing people back to the 1700s, can it be done online or is it more about looking up local historical records in person?