Author Topic: William Henry Clarke  (Read 2273 times)

Offline floggle toggle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Henry Clarke
« on: Monday 01 October 18 08:12 BST (UK) »
John J. and Sophia Stead were buried at the Chiltern (New) Cemetery Victoria. However, on the headstone is William H. Clarke, who seems to have no connection, his will is on FindMyPast (I assume it is him, same date etc.) he was married with a large family.
Can anybody help with what the connection was?

floggle toggle
Wheatley Sussex/Australia, Heasman - Tasker - Tester Sussex, Locock - Wilmington Sussex/Devon, Mankelow Kent

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Clarke
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 October 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
Can you give details of will on FindMyPast (date etc)?

Did Sophia Stead die 17 Jan 1891  and William H Clarke 1 May 1892? Yet to find a death for John James (?) Stead?

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 October 18 09:09 BST (UK) »
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article101519766
Albury Banner and Wodonga Express    23 May 1924

CHILTERN
Tho death has occurred of Mr. John James Stead, aged 88 wars. He arrived in Sydney in 1840.

Headstone
https://billiongraves.com/grave/John-J-STEAD/5363085

Cando

Edit to add url
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 October 18 09:15 BST (UK) »
Had just spotted it and about to post!

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 October 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
For those wishing to view Wm CLARKE's probate file there is no need to have a sub to FindMyPast.  PROV has the digitised file.  I prefer to use this site anyway.
https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/wills-and-probates

It would be useful if ALL the information known to the OP was posted so we didn't have to fill the gaps before attempting to find the link.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 October 18 10:34 BST (UK) »
John J. and Sophia Stead were buried at the Chiltern (New) Cemetery Victoria. However, on the headstone is William H. Clarke, who seems to have no connection, his will is on FindMyPast (I assume it is him, same date etc.) he was married with a large family.

floggle toggle

If you check on the PROV link in my last post you will see that Wm H CLARKE who died at Chiltern died intestate.  You have obviously read another Wm H CLARKE's probate file.  Two died in 1923 in Victoria.

From my resource
Death
CLARKE William Henry
Father William Hugh  Mother Kezia  DENT
At Chiltern  59 years  1923  Reg#14290

Cando

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 October 18 11:37 BST (UK) »

floggle toggle

If you check on the PROV link in my last post you will see that Wm H CLARKE who died at Chiltern died intestate.  You have obviously read another Wm H CLARKE's probate file.  Two died in 1923 in Victoria.

From my resource
Death
CLARKE William Henry
Father William Hugh  Mother Kezia  DENT
At Chiltern  59 years  1923  Reg#14290

Cando

I’m looking at his will on PROV and he was a contractor of Chiltern, his wife is Edith Louise Clarke, to whom he leaves all.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 October 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Jamjar if you read the probate file you will see that no Will could be found and a document was lodged stating that as fact.  Technically he died intestate.  Well that is my understanding.  I could be incorrect...often am.   Affidavits were signed stating that there had been a Will executed and a copy only of the Will was also lodged.  Anyway the probate file is not the issue anyway.

floggle toggle...this is the relationship.

Sophia STEAD formerly WHITE formerly SMITH nee NASH was Wm Henry CLARKE's mother in law.

His wife, Edith Louisa WHITE was born at Chiltern in 1870 to Burwell WHITE and Sophia NASH.  She was their fourth born child.

Death
CLARKE Edith Louisa
Father Boswell [sic]WHITE  Mother Sophia NASH
At St Kilda  93 years  1963  Reg#16429

FYI

Death
STEAD Sophia
Father William NASH  Mother Martha EDDINGTON
At Chiltern  49 years  1891  Reg#1028

Marriage Victoria - from my own resource
STEAD John James born Canada
WHITE Sophia born Somersetshire
1877  Reg#4662

From Find a Grave.....Burwell WHITE married Sophia SMITH nee NASH 1867, Victoria. She already had at least 2 children (one more had died in 1864). Together they had Sidney Arnold White 1868-?, Edith Louisa White 1870-1963, Mabel Beatrice White 1873-1879 and Horace Burwell White 1874-1875. After Burwell's death, Sophia married a third time and had twin girls.

And

Sophia may have been born in Trinidad and Tobago. [My comment - I wonder has anyone bothered to purchase any certificates?]

She was married three times, first to Arthur Smith, next to Burwell White in 1867. She married John Stead on 20th Nov 1877 in Victoria, Australia. They had twin girls Amy Tryphena 1879-1880 (5 months) and Eva Louise Lydia 1879-1854.

Children; Arthur Lincoln Smith 1861-1877, Charles Albert Smith 1864-1864, Albert Egbert Smith 1865-?, Sidney Arnold White 1868-?, Edith Louisa White 1870-1963, Mabel Beatrice White 1873-1879, Horace Burwell White 1874-1875, twins Amy Tryphena Stead 1879-1880 (5 months) and Eva Louise Lydia Stead 1879-1854.

You can search the Find a Grave site for burials and headstones at Chiltern Cemetery.

Cando

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 October 18 12:36 BST (UK) »
At Fawkner Memorial Park

CLARKE Edith Louise 93 6-8-1963
FA-GR3D*5*A**43
Garden Of Remembrance 3 Wall Niches

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams