Author Topic: Mobile Florida 1760s  (Read 804 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mobile Florida 1760s
« on: Monday 01 October 18 20:03 BST (UK) »
I am looking for suggestions on where to look for information about French and English families living here during late French rule and when a British colony. Two surnames of interest are Strother probably merchants (from Northumberland, England) and Mazurier, probably of French origin.
I have found a few references in google books regarding land claims and a fabulous 1771 map but would be very interested in accessing marriage and baptism records from the period if they still exist!
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile Florida 1760s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 11:24 BST (UK) »
Searching for Mobile Strother in Google Books brings up lots of Mobile references in "Houses of Strother : descendants of William Strother II,(ca. 1653-1726) and his descendants" by Lloyd F Oliver.

Have you seen the William Strother Society website and database? https://wmstrother.org/
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hello cristeen! Just yesterday, the Mobile court system announced they had digitized all their records for on line searching. I have not tried it, but it might be helpful to you. I think it would be simply "Mobile County Probate Court".....sorry I am unable to provide a direct link, but I think you should be able to find this with a Google search.  Good luck! patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 16:02 BST (UK) »
Searching for Mobile Strother in Google Books brings up lots of Mobile references in "Houses of Strother : descendants of William Strother II,(ca. 1653-1726) and his descendants" by Lloyd F Oliver.

Have you seen the William Strother Society website and database? https://wmstrother.org/
Hi Shaun, I have come across this gentleman in my googlings but cannot ascertain whether he is connected yet. records before 1812 seem hard to come by. Thank you for the link, I will look into it :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hello cristeen! Just yesterday, the Mobile court system announced they had digitized all their records for on line searching. I have not tried it, but it might be helpful to you. I think it would be simply "Mobile County Probate Court".....sorry I am unable to provide a direct link, but I think you should be able to find this with a Google search.  Good luck! patrexjax
patrexjax, thanks for that info. I can't seem to connect to the site atm but will keep trying.
According to the Mobile County Archive site, historical records prior to 1812 are lodged with the countries in charge of the colony. I have found two references to Thomas Strother in Mobile in 1779 regarding trade with the native Indians there which ties in with other bits and pieces I have read.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
A couple of items from 1779 in the UK National Archives http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_p=1700&_q=strother+mobile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Title -" By permission of His Majesty; and corrected to the 1st March 1769. The Military Register ..."

Foreign Garrisons
Mobile
Deputy Commissioner of Stores    Thomas Strother     Salary per annum  £4  0

Title - "Gaine's Universal Register, or, American and British kalendar 1775"

Officers of His Majesty's Customs
Port of Mobile
Collector   Hon. Jacob Blackwell, Esq
Deputy Collector   Thomas Strother

Garrison
Commissary of Provisions at Mobile  Thomas Strother

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
"Gaine's Universal Register 1775" also has an entry-

Government of West Florida
COURT OF CHANCERY
Chancellor   His Excellency the Governor
Masters       John Miller and Arthur Strother Esqrs.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 21:12 BST (UK) »
Shaun J many thanks for the link.

hanes telu, that information fits with a reference I found in 'Colonial Mobile: An Historical Study' 1897 which refers to Commisary Thomas Strother. I am getting much better picture of him now, he was obviously more than just a merchant. He was back in Alnwick by 1784 so maybe he left when the Spanish took over after 1780.
Thomas did have a younger brother called Arthur and I do wonder if the Arthur you found is him. I have found other references to an Arthur Strother in Mobile but he is also referred to as 'an agent for Miss Gallon' and she lived in the Alnwick area. I am just beginning to explore this line in more depth so haven't made all the connections yet!