Author Topic: Martha Brewster or Brouster or Browster 1781-1822'ish  (Read 985 times)

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martha Brewster or Brouster or Browster 1781-1822'ish
« on: Tuesday 02 October 18 00:27 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find records on a Martha Brouster, born to a Mary Brouster, nee Girty, about 1781. Mary and her two children (Margaret and Simon) were travelling from  Pennsylvania to Detroit Michigan around 1775-1779 and were taken captive by Indians, Husband Joseph was murdered. Mary and the children were eventually "sold" to the British in Canada? and eventually settled, now with three children, in Sorel in Quebec Province. The extra child was Martha Brouster who subsequently married a William Summers in St Andrews church in Quebec City, 31st Dec 1803. It seems obvious that Martha was not fathered by Mary's husband Joseph. Can anybody shed light on this period? Martha might have had a son, also called William, calculated dob 1804 +/-. I cannot find any record of this although family papers mention it. Again can anybody shed light on this? From the time of Martha's birth until 1803 seems a blank, as is the period after marriage in Canada, until she is next recorded having her first daughter in Poole. Dorset. England in 1815

TIA Del

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Brewster or Brouster or Browster 1781-1822'ish
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 01:23 BST (UK) »
Greetings

It's best just to have a post on one board - a moderator can move it to another board if needed.

(duplicate post on http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=801344)

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 01:33 BST (UK) »
Replied on the other post

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 04:41 BST (UK) »
Mary was in Sorel 05 Mar 1788 when she was making a claim for goods lost due to her husband's allegiance to Britian.
States she was living in Niagara in 1783.  Joseph had left for Detroit in Sep 1780 and was killed by his Indian guide.  Mary went to Detroit in 1782 and stayed there for a year and then went to Niagara and from there to Sorel Quebec.  In her statement she indicated three children, Margaret 12, Simon 10, Martha 6.
Doubt Mary was and children were sold.  Many Loyalist families made the trek from the U.S. to Canada.  My husband's Loyalist ancestors lived in Niagara after leaving the United States and from there ended up in Quebec and from there were granted land in Ontario. 

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 05:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that cosmac. Sooo if Joseph was killed 1780 and in 1788 Martha was 6 years old, her dob would be 1781/2. Then it is just possible Joseph fathered her? Could you give me the link to that document please?
The other conundrum is that Martha is supposed to have had a son about 1804'ish. He was called William. I cannot find any records of him at all. Her three other children were recorded and born in Poole Dorset England, between 1815 and 1820. I am beginning to suspect that William the son was left in Canada with relatives when the family returned to UK. Martha's husband, also William was working for the Admiralty

Derek

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
That information comes from a document available on ancestry.
Quebec notarial records do make a fleeting reference to a Simon Browster in 1796.  No details given.
If a son was born in 1804 it doesn't mean that he was left behind.  Most likely died before the family left Canada??

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 20:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks again cosmac. William the son was said to be "20 years of age and already at sea" when his father was lost at sea in Nov 1824. This is how I calculated his dob. This was from the papers written by a Great Aunt around 1900. Other things she mentioned have proven to be correct so I have no doubt this is also.

Del