Author Topic: Ernest Strain in South Africa  (Read 1028 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ernest Strain in South Africa
« on: Tuesday 02 October 18 07:01 BST (UK) »
Ernest Strain, a musician, was born Tynemouth, Northumberland, England 9 July 1913. His wife Emilie born 22 October 1913, probably not born in England. They had two daughters probably not born in England 1950 and 1956. All of husband and wife's/daughters records are on Ships' manifests for South Africa Travel. Any marriage or death or evidence of their time in South Africa would be appreciated bearing in mind that their children may still be alive so no details for them unless they have passed away. 

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest Strain in South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 07:27 BST (UK) »
Familysearch has the marriage of Ernest 1st September 1950
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6QR7-B9N?i=640&cc=2063749
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. Went to bed late after posting a South African question. Awoke early with the answer. Many thanks.

Offline Corneilius

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 December 21 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Ernie was my Grandfather he was born in Preston, North Shields. I don’t think that his family was in North Shields for very long. I know that in Jan. 1915 he was living at 86 John Street, Co-Operative Villas (No Place), Beamish, Co. Durham.
After leaving school he worked as a Miner in East Stanley Colliery known as Jackie’s Pit. As a gifted musician (he could play any instrument but mainly played trombone) he started with the village band “the No Place Nobblers” he went on to play for the Black Dyke Band and the Durban Symphony Orchestra as head trombonist.
Ernie’s children were: Neil Herbert (deceased) Pat, Carole (deceased), Mary Lou, Jessie Anne (deceased) and adopted daughter Melanie.

Neil Strain