Author Topic: Street Numbers  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Street Numbers
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 13:13 BST (UK) »

obviously no longer enforced as when I google a location & click on Streetview many houses seem unnumbered following renovation etc

I suspect that it's no longer enforced because there is nobody left in Local Government to enforce it!

The worst case I ever found was along a lane linking two earlier Urban Districts. The boundary between them ran, for a distance, along the middle of the road and the lane was numbered independently from both ends - i.e. X Lane East and X Lane West.

Following the convention of odd numbers on the right hand side of the road (or is it the left - I'm not sure but it doesn't matter!), I found that there were even numbers on both sides of the road which bore no relationship to one another

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 15:42 BST (UK) »

obviously no longer enforced as when I google a location & click on Streetview many houses seem unnumbered following renovation etc

I suspect that it's no longer enforced because there is nobody left in Local Government to enforce it!

The worst case I ever found was along a lane linking two earlier Urban Districts. The boundary between them ran, for a distance, along the middle of the road and the lane was numbered independently from both ends - i.e. X Lane East and X Lane West.

Following the convention of odd numbers on the right hand side of the road (or is it the left - I'm not sure but it doesn't matter!), I found that there were even numbers on both sides of the road which bore no relationship to one another
Assuming "X" is "Ack" I walked along that road the other day and noticed the same phenomenon.

Various generalisations above.  The idea of "clockwise" numbering, or number 1 always being on the left as you face up the road, is not universal.  Another tale I have seen mentioned is that number 1 is at the end of the road nearest the sorting office/post office.   Never seen proof of that one.

The quoted power of local authorities to require numbers to be displayed, is routinely ignored by shops especially nationwide chains.  I was told once that only certain authorities ever took up that power, and if the retail giants have any interest in displaying their number, it is only in those areas (I expect Westminster is a key one) that enforce it.  And   as already said, the councils no longer have the resources to enforce stuff like that. 
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
If you want to be really confused try looking at the West Cliff are of Whitby on StreetView. Crescent Avenue has two number 10s facing each other. Houses in the area are often numbered within each terrace rather than within the street that the terrace is in.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 17:45 BST (UK) »

Assuming "X" is "Ack" I walked along that road the other day and noticed the same phenomenon.

Various generalisations above.  The idea of "clockwise" numbering, or number 1 always being on the left as you face up the road, is not universal.  Another tale I have seen mentioned is that number 1 is at the end of the road nearest the sorting office/post office.   Never seen proof of that one.

The quoted power of local authorities to require numbers to be displayed, is routinely ignored by shops especially nationwide chains.  I was told once that only certain authorities ever took up that power, and if the retail giants have any interest in displaying their number, it is only in those areas (I expect Westminster is a key one) that enforce it.  And   as already said, the councils no longer have the resources to enforce stuff like that.

How d'you manage to work that one out!! East was originally in Hazel Grove and Bramhall UDC and West was in Cheadle & Gatley UDC. Properties are (were?) usually numbered from the local centre outwards.