Author Topic: Spring Garden Linen Manufactory  (Read 3803 times)

Offline DebsE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Tracing back from New Zealand to the British Isles
    • View Profile
Spring Garden Linen Manufactory
« on: Thursday 11 August 05 03:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Going through some old family papers I was delighted to find some notes on my 4x great grandfather Alexander Mathew of Aberdeenshire Scotland.

In them it states that from 1849 Alex was an overseer at a Linen Manufactory named Spring Garden. Around 1851 he had a severe attack of typhus fever and subsequently died from paralysis in his lower limbs in November 1859.

I have been unable to find any information about "Spring Garden" and would love to hear from anyone who may know anything about it. Where it was located, when it was open... anything at all. I'm hoping it might give me some clues to help me locate where the family were living at the time and where Alex may be buried.

Kind regards,

Debra
New Zealand
WRY Yorkshire - EMMETT, EMMOTT, VICKERS
Lancashire - VICKERS
Essex - SMYTH, WHITE
Germany & London - ZIMMERMAN, BRUNS
Somerset - WARD
Devon - DOIDGE
Cornwall - HANCOCK
Scotland - SUTHERLAND, MATHEW, MORTIMER
Ireland - NOLAN, WILLIAMSON, McPIKE, CROSKERY, MOORE, GALVIN, GALLAVAN, FITZGERALD

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Garden Linen Manufactory
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 August 05 07:29 BST (UK) »
Debra,

A Google found a street called Spring Garden in an area called Spring Gardens.  Perhaps this might be relevant?

Click Here

JAP

Offline DebsE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 August 05 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi JAP

Thanks for that information and map.

I think that you are right - it certainly seems likely that the old Linen Factory was located somewhere in the area you kindly found for me. That's a big help as I can now try searching for family in records around that area.

Now if anyone else knows any information about the actually Factory itself I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks again JAP.  :)

Debra
New Zealand
Lancashire - VICKERS
Essex - SMYTH, WHITE
Somerset - WARD
Devon - DOIDGE
Cornwall - HANCOCK
Ireland - NOLAN, WILLIAMSON, McPIKE, CROSKERY, MOORE, GALVIN, GALLAVAN, FITZGERALD

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 September 05 11:39 BST (UK) »
As someone who lives in Aberdeen, I can safely say that Spring Garden is still a street in Aberdeen today. It runs between George Street and the Gallowgate. I haven't heard of the Linen Manufactory but it would have been close to other textile works at that time. Neighbouring Maberly Street  was/is the site of Richard's or Broadfords, a large textile works (a flax mill I think). I think that Richards has recently been sold, although the building is still there. Across the road, there is a large red brick building, which I think used to be part of the textile works and which has now been converted in executive type flats, now know as The Bastille. You could try linking to this:

http://www.nepforums.co.uk/thisisnorthscotland/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

This is a local newspaper bulletin board with many old pics of Aberdeen etc. submitted by ex-pats etc. You could try searching for Richards, Broadfords, or Bastille or even Spring Garden and search all forums (I have tried it today and have seen several pics on it). As I say, the Richards building is red brick and is very recognisable. I have attempted to attach a picture. As you look at it Spring Garden is the next street to this along to the left (its not in the picture!)

Following another bit of searching around on the net, you might be EXTREMELY interested in this:

http://www.gencircles.com/users/scumess/1/data/371

I feel certain this must a relative of yours!! I am sure that by investigating this link you will be well on your way to finding what you want to know!!

If you look on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk you will almost certainly find details of him (it is pay per view).

Best wishes from Aberdeen!
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline DebsE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 September 05 22:27 BST (UK) »
Dear ED2005,

Thank you very much for all that information. It's wonderful to hear from someone in Aberdeen and to be able to confirm that there were known textile works in the Spring Garden area. I've begun checking out the forum that you posted and it looks as if it could be a very useful source of information on all things Aberdeen. I really appreciate you mentioning it.

As for the other link, I was certainly surprised to find that family information on the web. It certainly wasn't there last time I tried searching. I do know the person who posted it and will be getting in touch with them right away. I definitely appreciate you coming across this info for me.

Since posting my original message I have visited scotland's people and found the death certificate for Alex Mathew. Thanks to the forum address you posted, it looks like I'll be able to follow up on more leads.

I really do appreciate all your help.

Kind regards,

Debra
Lancashire - VICKERS
Essex - SMYTH, WHITE
Somerset - WARD
Devon - DOIDGE
Cornwall - HANCOCK

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 October 05 08:17 BST (UK) »
Dear Debra,

I am delighted I was able to help someone on the other side of the world! Initiially, I was just going to send you some info on Spring Garden (which is neither Spring-like nor a garden by the way, but a rather dull street – it used to also be the home to Aberdeen's old ice-rink). I have a list of useful websites in my favourites so I thought I would type in your ancestor's name to see what came up. I was as surprised as you were!

Anyway, good luck with your research. If you need any other Aberdeen info or any digital pics, give me a shout!

- Steve
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...