Author Topic: Brigowgate Children's Home Grimsby  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Brigowgate Children's Home Grimsby
« on: Tuesday 02 October 18 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hello I am looking for any photos related to Brigowgate Children's home. My sisters mum was there from 1927 onwards
thankyou

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Brigowgate Children's Home Grimsby
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 15:36 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 06:50 BST (UK) »
 :)thanks

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 October 18 20:21 BST (UK) »

Hi,

The NA says that Brighowgate Children's Home, records are held at the North East Lincolnshire Archives and include some photos,

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/5c5365fd-9c91-47aa-8ef5-5f278700b164

https://www.lincsinspire.com/enterprise/Archives

Under FAQs it says,

"How can I find out about my time in the Brighowgate Children's Home in Grimsby?
The surviving records of the Brighowgate Children's Home (which opened in Grimsby in 1913) are held at NELA. If the admission registers are more than 100 years old they are open to the public. If they are not that old, you can only get your own information by completing a search form and asking the staff at NELA to search for you. There is no charge."

I must admit to finding their website a bit confusing, but searching for Brighowgate here I found that they do hold records for the Children's Home,

http://dscalm.nelincs.gov.uk/DServe/DServe.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Search.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog

I think it would be a good idea to contact them directly.

Regards,
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 October 18 07:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Daisy, I Think that's what we will do

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 October 18 19:36 BST (UK) »
My family has a connection with Brighowgate Childrens` Home and also the Workhouse ( which was in Scartho Road Grimsby ) although slightly earlier that your relative.

If children under 5 were admitted to the Workhouse with their mother, they stayed there until 5 and then were moved upto Brighowgate.

There are some photos which are available to view, I did this at NELincs Archives, but I think some are closed.

Also, there are at least 2 booklets about these establishments; one which was written by Sadie Beal whose husband was the Master of the Workhouse and another one I think written by possibly Philip Grundy. Both contain some photos. I will see if I`ve got them.

Again, I`m not sure, it`s years since I visited those archives, but I think the last entry in the admittance book was 1927, which I was told had the 100 year closure rule, so that is well past now.

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 October 18 23:19 BST (UK) »
My family has a connection with Brighowgate Childrens` Home and also the Workhouse ( which was in Scartho Road Grimsby ) although slightly earlier that your relative.

If children under 5 were admitted to the Workhouse with their mother, they stayed there until 5 and then were moved upto Brighowgate.

There are some photos which are available to view, I did this at NELincs Archives, but I think some are closed.

Also, there are at least 2 booklets about these establishments; one which was written by Sadie Beal whose husband was the Master of the Workhouse and another one I think written by possibly Philip Grundy. Both contain some photos. I will see if I`ve got them.

Again, I`m not sure, it`s years since I visited those archives, but I think the last entry in the admittance book was 1927, which I was told had the 100 year closure rule, so that is well past now.

Thanks, I assume the 100 year rule will still apply on everything that is over 1918. However as my sister 's mum is still alive she can apply for her records. Her mother went into a mental hospital and her father was at sea so the children went straight into the children's home I believe. They stayed there until they were adults. It would be lovely to see the booklets if you still have them though.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 14:26 BST (UK) »
I think I went a bit of track with the years !! It`s not 100 years until 2027 !!!!

I will send you a pm.

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 14:28 BST (UK) »
I think I went a bit of track with the years !! It`s not 100 years until 2027 !!!!

I will send you a pm.

I thought so lol thanks a lot