Author Topic: 20 Laurel Road, Liverpool - accommodation address for adoptions?  (Read 3559 times)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 20 Laurel Road, Liverpool - accommodation address for adoptions?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
I had checked Historical Directories (on line) - they go up to 1919 - but drew a blank re Laurel Road, Liverpool.

I had checked the 1911 Census but property listed "uninhabited".

Offline johneowens

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 20:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, of course, and most women under 30 would not be on the Register.

Best

John
Owens-Swansea/Wallasey/Garston,L’pool
Jones-Erbistock/Widnes
Allen-Tetsworth/Hoole/Runcorn/St.Helens/Iowa/Kansas/Nebraska
Yieveley/Yevily/Everley/Heviley-Little Ness,Salop/Oldbury/St Helens/Garston,L'pool
Davies-Holywell,Garston,L'pool
Ithel-Bagilt,Mold
Fletcher-Rainhill/Widnes
Hughes-Marchwiel,Bangor-Is-Coed,Denbs
Thomas-Oswestry, Salop/Liverpool
Cole-Cliffe Peppard/Lyneham, Wilts
Frawley-Rathkeale, Co. Limerick
Conway-Coolanoran,Co.Limerick
Dinneen-Ballingarry,Co. Limerick

Offline johneowens

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
I had checked Historical Directories (on line) - they go up to 1919 - but drew a blank re Laurel Road, Liverpool.

I had checked the 1911 Census but property listed "uninhabited".

Thanks, hanes teulu. That's useful.

John
Jones-Erbistock/Widnes
Yieveley/Yevily/Everley/Heviley-Little Ness,Salop/Oldbury/St Helens/Garston,L'pool
Ithel-Bagilt,Mold
Fletcher-Rainhill/Widnes

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

My curiosity peaked I started to look at what else the newspaper archives might hold for 20 Laurel Road.  I found an add from April 1914 under 'Apartments to be Let'  which reads as follows:

Accouchement - Comfortable Home for lady, before and during: mod terms.  Nurse Pierce, 20 Laurel Road, Fairfield, Liverpool.

Being unfamiliar with the term 'Accouchement' I looked it up and it is described variously on the internet, but basically ....“to be delivered of a child, to aid in delivery”.

So, it sounds like Nurse Pierce/Pearce  rented out rooms for pregnant women to live before and up to the time they gave birth.  I guess her other services went beyond if the woman was unable to keep the baby. Therefore, not a maternity home as such, but a midwife who rented out rooms and 'cared' for the expectant mothers and delivered their babies.

As a note:  A woman called Kate Pearce can be found on the 1901 census living in Liverpool and working as a nurse at the David Lewis Northern Hospital, Islington, Liverpool.  Described as single, age 32 (b. 1869) originally from Madley, Shropshire. 

In 1911, a Kate Maria 'Pierce' is living at 15 Huntley Road, Fairfield, Liverpool.  Occupation: Certified Midwife.  Industry or service:  Maternity Home.  On own account.  She says she is a widow and is enumerated  as  living with her 2 daughters, 2 sons, a male boarder, and 5 female boarders (one is 14 days old).

CD

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
found this in an article about the parish

"That is the origin of 'Rosemont' Convent, in Laurel Road, off Edge Lane. Following the convalescent work the Sisters cared for 'girls in need', some of them unmarried mothers. But for many years it has been a home for handicapped girls. "

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
Fascinating research. Well done, all of you.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline johneowens

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

My curiosity peaked I started to look at what else the newspaper archives might hold for 20 Laurel Road.  I found an add from April 1914 under 'Apartments to be Let'  which reads as follows:

Accouchement - Comfortable Home for lady, before and during: mod terms.  Nurse Pierce, 20 Laurel Road, Fairfield, Liverpool.

Being unfamiliar with the term 'Accouchement' I looked it up and it is described variously on the internet, but basically ....“to be delivered of a child, to aid in delivery”.

So, it sounds like Nurse Pierce/Pearce  rented out rooms for pregnant women to live before and up to the time they gave birth.  I guess her other services went beyond if the woman was unable to keep the baby. Therefore, not a maternity home as such, but a midwife who rented out rooms and 'cared' for the expectant mothers and delivered their babies.

As a note:  A woman called Kate Pearce can be found on the 1901 census living in Liverpool and working as a nurse at the David Lewis Northern Hospital, Islington, Liverpool.  Described as single, age 32 (b. 1869) originally from Madley, Shropshire. 

In 1911, a Kate Maria 'Pierce' is living at 15 Huntley Road, Fairfield, Liverpool.  Occupation: Certified Midwife.  Industry or service:  Maternity Home.  On own account.  She says she is a widow and is enumerated  as  living with her 2 daughters, 2 sons, a male boarder, and 5 female boarders (one is 14 days old).

CD

Great stuff, CD.

All this figures. So, my great aunt was about to produce a child 4 months after getting married (and probably not really wanting to be married but social norms were such at the time). As a nurse herself, she heard about Kate Pearce through the nurses' grapevine and stayed at 20 Laurel Road during her period of confinement.

Now, of course, this does not tell us that James Roye was adopted but given my gt aunt and her husband went on to pursue their careers in separate locations thereafter, the chances are James Roye was adopted.

Great research, CD, for which many thanks.

BTW, could you please give me the references for the ad and the censuses.

Best wishes

John
Jones-Erbistock/Widnes
Ithel-Bagilt,Mold
Fletcher-Rainhill/Widnes

Offline johneowens

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 19:49 BST (UK) »

"That is the origin of 'Rosemont' Convent, in Laurel Road, off Edge Lane. Following the convalescent work the Sisters cared for 'girls in need', some of them unmarried mothers. But for many years it has been a home for handicapped girls. "

Thanks, Lacsann but I don't think this fits the particular circumstances I have described. Appreciate the thought, however.

Best

John
Jones-Erbistock/Widnes
Ithel-Bagilt,Mold
Fletcher-Rainhill/Widnes

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 19:56 BST (UK) »

I don't think there's any religious connections with this address. You can see number 20 Laurel Road on this c1950s map it's a terraced house not one of the larger properties in the vicinity (you may need to zoom out a bit to view this map):-

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/337773/390983/13/101329

Blue