Author Topic: Elizabeth Ann Ladner died 1917 Amersham  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Ann Ladner died 1917 Amersham
« on: Tuesday 02 October 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Elizabeth Ann Ladner, died Jan-Mar 1917, aged 60 and registered at Amersham Vol 3a Page 1286. In the 1901 Census (RG13 174) Islington St Clement / Lower Holloway, Elizabeth Ladner was single aged 43 and a boarder. In the 1881 Census, London, she is listed as a dressmaker. I have a feeling these are the same person, as it is the only record where dates and age match.

Having searched on Find My Past and Ancestry, I found the probate of all other family members in that generation, but nothing for Elizabeth A Ladner. If possible, I would like to find a probate listing. And why relocate to the Amersham area, did it have anything to do with World War One?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Ann Ladner died 1917 Amersham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 16:53 BST (UK) »
You don't need a subscription for the probate index it is here   https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

1881 she was in Mortlake - bn Teddington.  In 1911 she is in Alton, Hampshire.
If she was a dressmaker or servant would you expect her to have left a will.  The death certificate should tell you where she died and name the informant, maybe that would explain why she was in the Chesham reg district.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link, I have been using the library.
And for the 1911 listing, it clears up that she did not leave during the war.

From what I have found, she was not a servant. As for a Will, all other members of the family went through probate, I am checking everything looking at the options. Having made assumptions before, they turned out to be wrong.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 19:02 BST (UK) »

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks again. I am quite new to this and was not aware of familysearch so have created an account. It is difficult using the library, but my interest is so minimal I see no point in paying.

My main search has concluded, Elizabeth Ladner is an older sister and I was curious to see what had happened to her. There are a few certificates I want and will also add this one. I tried to buy them but the death certificate for one person was not on the database. Having let them know, I will look again next week.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 21:19 BST (UK) »
Parents.
John Ladner c1830. Gulval, Cornwall.
Mary A Ladner c1827, Preston, Rutland.
 Siblings(as in 1871 census).
James W Ladner c1854. Teddington, Middx.
Harriet Ladner c1859, Hampton Court, Middx.

All living in Mortlake, Surrey.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 22:14 BST (UK) »
Did you know that you can get pdf copies of some birth and death certificates from the GRO for £6

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 22:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bucksboy. I have the Ladner/Munton families from London, they were the focus of my search. Questions relating to them have been posted in the sections for Cheshire and Cornwall where different ones ended their lives; Harriett Ladner - Cheshire and James William Ladner in Cornwall.

In the 1891 census Elizabeth Ann Ladner is living in the family home aged 34, with her mother being the head. In 1892 her mother died. The 1901 census says she is one of seven boarders in Islington. Rosie99 found her on the 1911 census boarding in Alton, Hampshire. I believe she died in the Amersham area. It is the only date that fits. I was wondering if anyone had local information.

My interest is secondary to the rest, but in taking a different option to others in the family, I am curious as to why she moved. This was more than 10 years before Harriett and James W. moved to Cheshire and Cornwall.

The reason for asking about probate, was looking for a link. I established through probate records, that several others in my search, were living at a property called Rosslyn in Winsford, Cheshire when they died, owned by Frederick Ladner the younger brother. It would seem, with the three all being spinsters, he and his wife took them in.

Hi rosie99, thanks I am aware of the GRO. One of the certificates I want was not on their database. I notified them and records are updated weekly, so I will check again next week. I will get a copy of her death certificate to establish where she died, along with two other certificates.