Author Topic: Daykins of Hawick and Jedburgh.  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daykins of Hawick and Jedburgh.
« on: Tuesday 02 October 18 17:17 BST (UK) »
 I have been researching the Daykins family of Hawick and Jedburgh, 1800 to present, so far I have William Daykins and his wife Ann Haldane having 4 children;

Son James  born approx 1811 died 1896 married 1st Margaret Tait, 2nd Mary Ann Mascaron,

Son John born approx 1812 died 1879 married Ann Clark, they had 1 son John Daykins who married Besty Brunton and farmed at Howden, Jedburgh, John and Betsy Brunton had 4 children, their son John Brunton Daykins, VC.MM. John B Daykins will be commemorated in Jedburgh on October 20th 2018.

Dau Ann born approx 1815 died 1874 in Hawick, married William Allan.

Son Thomas born approx 1816 died 1885, Gunsmith of Duns, married Isabella Gilbert. No known children.

The Jedburgh Royal British Legion is looking for relatives to attend the event, any help would be appreciated.
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Whillans,Wheelans,Scotland.
Kennedy,Ancrum.

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Daykins of Hawick and Jedburgh.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 23:27 BST (UK) »
I should add that James Daykins and Margaret Tait had 7 known children;

1. Elizabeth married John Crozier 1856, Hawick
2. William married Janet Clark 1857, Hawick. William died 1900 in Hawick.
3. Anne married James Henderson 1858,Hawick, Anne died 1920
4. Thomas born 1841.
5. John Bell Daykins born 1843. John died 1864 in Hawick.
6. Helen born 1846.
7. Matilda born 1849 married Alexander Lightbody 1868, Matilda died 1897 in Jedburgh.

I have most census entries and at the moment I am looking for any descendants who are interested in attending the commemoration for John Brunton Daykins VC.MM.
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Kennedy,Ancrum.

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 October 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
"3.  OBELISK.-In _ memory of  the   beloved children  of   John  Crozier and   Elizn  Daykins,"
".JOliN aged  5 -years,  MARY  -aged  9 months, CATHARINE aged  4AND HALFyears, -J'ANE  aged"
"3AND HALF years, ANDREW aged 1 AND HALF years.           AlSO THE SAID ELIZH DAYKINS DIED 29TH NOVEMBER
"1905 -aged 71  year.s.   And  her  husband JOHN  CROZIElt  died,  25th   May- l.906 _-aged"
"73 years. ·-                                                                  '                 --        -"
"IX."
HOPE THIS HELPS. I HAD TO AMEND MOST OF IT AS IT DIDNT CUT AND PASTE TOO WELL
ALAN
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 October 18 19:51 BST (UK) »

1.   In loving memory of JOHN DAYKINS Farmer who died at Howden, Jedburgh 23.6.1924 aged 70 years and his wife BESSIE BRUNTON died 26.3.1936 in her 83rd year also their sons JAMES died 18.1.1914 aged 28 years JOHN BRUNTON DAYKINS V.C. M.M. Died 24.1.1933 aged 49 years SAMUEL B. DAYKINS Farmer, Wester Ulston died 23.1.1940 aged 55 years and ISABELLA ELLIOT BELL wife of the above SAMUEL B. DAYKINS died 17.5.1934 aged 46 years and ELIZABETH RODGERSON DAYKINS or SWANSTON wife of the late JOHN SWANSTON Magog House Babraham Camberidgeshire only daughter of the said JOHN and BESSIE DAYKINS died 27.9.1974 aged 87 years.

FOUND THIS IN JED CASTLEWOOD CEMETERY.THERE IS ANOTHER ENTRY FOR A MATILDA AND AN ALEX LIGHTBODY.IF IT HELPS.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Dglendinning

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 October 18 23:01 BST (UK) »
Just found this thread after completing some research on John Daykins (VC). My husband's great great great Grandfather was James Daykins (b 1811 and m to Margaret Tait). We thought there would be a family connection and it was just finding that our James and John (John VC's grandfather) were brothers. Wish I had come across your post earlier lol!
Thanks for posting that John VC will be commemorated on 20th October. We will now get in touch with British Legion and make arrangements to be at the event along with other family members.
DG

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 19:38 BST (UK) »
Just found this thread after completing some research on John Daykins (VC). My husband's great great great Grandfather was James Daykins (b 1811 and m to Margaret Tait). We thought there would be a family connection and it was just finding that our James and John (John VC's grandfather) were brothers. Wish I had come across your post earlier lol!
Thanks for posting that John VC will be commemorated on 20th October. We will now get in touch with British Legion and make arrangements to be at the event along with other family members.
DG
That's great news, I hope you are able to attend the event in Jedburgh, all the best,
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Kennedy,Ancrum.

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 19:40 BST (UK) »

1.   In loving memory of JOHN DAYKINS Farmer who died at Howden, Jedburgh 23.6.1924 aged 70 years and his wife BESSIE BRUNTON died 26.3.1936 in her 83rd year also their sons JAMES died 18.1.1914 aged 28 years JOHN BRUNTON DAYKINS V.C. M.M. Died 24.1.1933 aged 49 years SAMUEL B. DAYKINS Farmer, Wester Ulston died 23.1.1940 aged 55 years and ISABELLA ELLIOT BELL wife of the above SAMUEL B. DAYKINS died 17.5.1934 aged 46 years and ELIZABETH RODGERSON DAYKINS or SWANSTON wife of the late JOHN SWANSTON Magog House Babraham Camberidgeshire only daughter of the said JOHN and BESSIE DAYKINS died 27.9.1974 aged 87 years.

FOUND THIS IN JED CASTLEWOOD CEMETERY.THERE IS ANOTHER ENTRY FOR A MATILDA AND AN ALEX LIGHTBODY.IF IT HELPS.
Thank you Alan, I have seen the headstone for the Lightbody family, hoping there may be some family members still alive.
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Kennedy,Ancrum.

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 19:43 BST (UK) »
"3.  OBELISK.-In _ memory of  the   beloved children  of   John  Crozier and   Elizn  Daykins,"
".JOliN aged  5 -years,  MARY  -aged  9 months, CATHARINE aged  4AND HALFyears, -J'ANE  aged"
"3AND HALF years, ANDREW aged 1 AND HALF years.           AlSO THE SAID ELIZH DAYKINS DIED 29TH NOVEMBER
"1905 -aged 71  year.s.   And  her  husband JOHN  CROZIElt  died,  25th   May- l.906 _-aged"
"73 years. ·-                                                                  '                 --        -"
"IX."
HOPE THIS HELPS. I HAD TO AMEND MOST OF IT AS IT DIDNT CUT AND PASTE TOO WELL
ALAN

Thank you Alan, I have a connection with John Crozier who died 1906, it is his wife who was a Daykins, lots of children, I am hoping there may be some Crozier family still alive.
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Kennedy,Ancrum.

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 October 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
DG
That's great news, I hope you are able to attend the event in Jedburgh, all the best,

I am interested in which branch your husband is descended from DG, would you mind letting me know so that I can add it to my research, I will send you a personal message also,
thank you.
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Kennedy,Ancrum.