Author Topic: Marriage of David Logan to Ann ????  (Read 1776 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of David Logan to Ann ????
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
Given the census info you have for Jane (born c1794, Tweedmouth), have you discounted this possibility? I know they're not necessarily close, however there are a number of possibilities such as the family moving and Jane considering a later home as her birthplace:

Jane LOGAN bap 12 August 1792, parents John (occupation brazier) and Mary (probably nee DOWNEY) at St Nicholas, Newcastle upon Tyne (on FreeREg and familysearch)

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Maddy

Thanks for sticking with this even though it's a bit perplexing ???

From census info and the the fact that Jane Logan is named as the mother of some of the Wallace children I'm as certain I can be in that we have the right person, even in the absence of a marriage record.

Your suggestion is perfectly sensible and very tempting. I have seen the record you mention and, whilst I haven't dismissed it, I can't really see how it could be verified. If it was closer to Berwick I would have been more comfortable but more than 60 miles away was a very long way in the late 16th century without effective transport systems.

Happy to consider any suggestions.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 22:49 BST (UK) »
I meant to add earlier too that I notice Jane and George's children were baptised non conformist - I guess the marriage is most likely to found somewhere in non conformist records too, though I can't see it in any I have access to.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 22:57 BST (UK) »
sorry, ignore my last post. I remember looking at the family and getting confused as there was another George/Jane WALLACE family with similar children's names around the same time (though I think a little earlier) - I think I'm getting them mixed up! Need another cup of coffee ...

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 23:23 BST (UK) »
I know the feeling. When names and dates start swimming round in your head the only thing to do is go away and give it a rest for a while. I often think that genealogy is some sort of intellectual masochism.

Why settle for coffee? 😉🤪!!!