Author Topic: ancestryDNA​ new (at least, to me) features  (Read 8371 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: ancestryDNA​ new (at least, to me) features
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 October 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for highlighting these new features. In my usual blind-as-a-bat way. I hadn't noticed them!

I suppose its good that Ancestry are making efforts to improve our 'viewing experience'.

One I could do with  - please tell me if it already exists and I've missed it - is just a straightforward search to go straight to a specific match. I have made a written list (sweet, old fashioned thing that I am) of all my matches down to 4-6th cousin with notes of progress so far with each. However, when I come to want to find them on my on-screen list, I'm having to scroll down the whole list to find them. I try to get there faster by estimating where they are on the list from the number of matching cMs but that doesn't help with the newer ones that have been tagged on to the bottom of my written list!

Speaking of new ones: I'm getting withdrawal symptoms - haven't had any for a while. Mine tend to be like buses: none for ages and then a few come along together (albeit, usually with no tree. Boy, does that make me spit!!)  :-[

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 October 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
Jill, One way that I have found to keep track of specific matches is to give them a yellow favourite star, then there aren't as many to go through. I try to use this only when a match has been confirmed though.

Another way - in your notes make a comment on surnames in their tree, search for that surname and hopefully they will come up.

Today I saw something different, only works if you have sent them a message. A search by username in messages.

Another way, a bit longer, but should be quicker than your current method - search member directory for username - not always successful.

Final suggestion, would need updating over the months and years - in your notes make a note of what page the match is on, use Find in Page for username.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 October 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
I use the stars too but it would be nice to be able to have different coloured stars or a range of different symbols so that shared matches could be grouped together or other groups/people indicated.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 October 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
Two new features I have noticed in the past few days.

1) Matches with 'Unlinked trees' are now shown as such on your match pages, without clicking on them. Potentially very useful/time saving.

2) Map view, also on match pages. I am not sure exactly what this is supposed to do, I have only 24 people shown on my map view. I would have thought at least all of my 4th to 6th cousins would be entered there. Possibly has potential.

Regards Margaret

Modified: I have looked at map view again, it appears to show only 4 to 6 cousins who have entered full details or county details of where they live currently.
Margaret
Yes the map view seems to be extremely limited usefulness as most people do not put their exact location on their profile, not that in this era people's current location may be a particularly useful indication of where their ancestors lived 100 years ago.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 October 18 22:06 BST (UK) »

I've just had my results back; which don't help me much, but throw up a new set of questions!!

Romilly ::)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 07:16 BST (UK) »
Romilly, Results can be bewildering when you first get them, and perhaps not what you were expecting.

Have fun with them for a day or two, explore whichever site you tested with, get used to how things work.

I strongly suggest you read Lost Cousins DNA Masterclass. Very good tips and hints, though I don't follow them exactly, have developed my own ways of searching through matches.

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/aug17news.htm#Masterclass

As ancestry's surname and place search is inconsistent, to say the least, it is not always the best way to look through matches there.

This link may be helpful if you want to upload elsewhere.

http://thednageek.com/how-to-transfer-your-ancestrydna-test-to-other-databases/

Good luck with your searches.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 08:14 BST (UK) »

Many thanks for the Links Margaret, - they will keep me busy today:-)

Before I spend ages trying to copy and print my matches, - is there a straightforward way of doing so from the Ancestry results page please?

And has anyone on here uploaded their results to GED Match? Or is that a mainly USA Database?

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 08:25 BST (UK) »
Quite a few of us have uploaded to Gedmatch, with variable results. See:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=801507.0

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 16:45 BST (UK) »
I use the stars too but it would be nice to be able to have different coloured stars or a range of different symbols so that shared matches could be grouped together or other groups/people indicated.

Gadget

There is an add-on you can use to do just that.  Take a look at DNA Match Labeling.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dna-match-labeling/kgkhfloclmjcbgilbdhjkmmaohlemfci

Cheers
 :)

Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE