Author Topic: Robert Dixon c1596  (Read 1390 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Robert Dixon c1596
« on: Wednesday 03 October 18 01:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to establish the origin of my ancestor Robert Dixon who lived in Chilham in the 17th century and hope someone can help here or confirm a I theory I have.

Robert was married twice, both times by licence. Firstly he married Joan Coppin of Bekesbourne in February 1611 at Patrixbourne. The bondsman is given on the licence as "Thomas Denn of Canterbury, gent"

Joan appears to have died by 1636 as Robert was married for a second time [he is described as a widower on the licence] in July 1636 at Godmersham, to Susan Chapman. Again the bondsman on the licence was "Thomas Denn of Canterbury, gent" who I suspect was the same person as in the first marriage licence.

Robert's age is given on the first licence as "about 35" which would make him born c1596.

I have been unable to find any sign of a Robert Dixon born in the Chilham area around this date.

The only christening for a Robert Dixon I have found that fits the date and works out with his age, is in Seasalter in 1596. This would be an exact fit.

Seasalter is 7 miles from Chilham. Is anyone able to confirm my theory that this Robert and the Robert who married Joan and then Susan are likely to be the same person?

Also can anyone suggest any other Robert Dixons born in the Chilham area between 1594 and 1598 who might fit this puzzle?

Thanks in advance
Matt

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Dixon c1596
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 02:04 BST (UK) »
Can't find a birth yet but this maybe his death...

Dixon,Robert   —   1658   Kent, Canterbury Archdeaconry Burials   Chilham, St Mary, Kent, England.

Also there's a bit about Thomas Denn

https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1604-1629/member/denne-thomas-1577-1656

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 02:27 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this is your Robert but...

The Manor of Dane Court

"His son Edward resided in Faversham where he died in 1634 leaving four sons as his co-heirs in
gavelkind (1) who in 1635 conveyed this Manor to Robert Dixon of Chilham, and he in 1650
conveyed it to Robert
Sprakeling of Boughton Aluph. It continued by descendents to another
Robert Sprakeling who in 1743 conveyed it to James Colebrooke of Chilham castle, after which it
passed to Thomas Wildman in 1792.

Google...chilham the unique village - CiteSeerX

Page 33.         

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this is your Robert but...

The Manor of Dane Court

"His son Edward resided in Faversham where he died in 1634 leaving four sons as his co-heirs in
gavelkind (1) who in 1635 conveyed this Manor to Robert Dixon of Chilham, and he in 1650
conveyed it to Robert
Sprakeling of Boughton Aluph. It continued by descendents to another
Robert Sprakeling who in 1743 conveyed it to James Colebrooke of Chilham castle, after which it
passed to Thomas Wildman in 1792.

Google...chilham the unique village - CiteSeerX

Page 33.       

Hi

Thanks for those two pieces of info, which I believe have helped me work out who Robert's parents were, and confirm my theory.

The record of "Chilham: A Unique Village" has been especially useful as it not only refers to Robert Dixon, but also gives me more info on other families I'm researching and mentions various lands, farms etc which I've seen in Wills.

Denne Manor Farm, referred to in this, is also referred to in several Wills of the Denne family.

After doing some digging in my Denne notes and looking at the Wills I have, it looks like I've established the connection.

John Dixon married Margaret Denne on 29 August 1596 in Wigham.

Margaret died in about 1631 and is buried in the South Transept - a memorial there reads:

"Here lyeth Margarite, Wife of John DIXON, Daughter of Dr. DEN of Kingstone"

Margaret was the daughter of Vincent Denne (c1538-1591) [described in his Will as "Doctor of Laws"] and Joan Kittel (c1541-1611), who both left Wills. Vincent died in 1591 before Margaret was married and refers to her as "my daughter Margaret" in his Will, whereas Joan died in 1611 and calls Margaret "my daughter Dixon".

I have just had a look at Joan Denne's Inventory and it looks like one of the names at the end of it is "John Dixonne"

John and Margaret appear to have two other children as well as Robert,

Thomas - christened on 24 September 1599 in Seasalter
Margaret - christened 4 October 1601 in Seasalter.

I have also found a reference to a 1543 Will for Thomas Dyxson of Seasalter, who might turn out to be John's father.

The curious thing here is that I am also decended from Vincent and Joan through their eldest daughter Elizabeth Denne (1566-1637) who married Vincent Nethersole, and whose daughter Alice Nethersole married her cousin Michael Denne.

One of Vincent and Joan's other children was Thomas Denne (1574-1654) who might have been the bondsman, or another possible candidate is Thomas Denne (1560-1609) who is described in his Will as "Thomas Denne of Hackington als St Stephens nr Canterbury". This Thomas was the father of Michael Denne who married Vincent and Joan's daughter Alice!

Thanks again for the help. Now it would be good if I could establish who the parents of Susan Chapman were - I know from the licence that her mother was Elizabeth who was a widow by 1636.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
I've just found another connection. In his Will, Vincent Denne (father of Margaret) mentions "my servant John Coppin". I thought this was interesting as Robert Dixon's first wife was Joan Dixon.

It looks like Joan Coppin was christened in February 1611 in the parish of Wingham, Kent - her parents John and Susan Coppin. Wingham borders Ickham and Adisham (which itself borders Patrixbourne) and the Dennes were active in all these parishes and the neighbouring ones. My direct Denne ancestors had lands in Adisham, Ickham, Littlebourne, Womenswold, Barham and Kingston - all of which are in the same area.

I wonder if the John Coppin, whose daughter Joan was christened in 1611, is the same person as the John Coppin referred to in Vincent's Will.

Matt

Offline grellisdixon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 20:31 BST (UK) »
This is my ancestor - 9th great grandparent to my husband. Have research of proven documents.