Author Topic: Parents of Lawson ARMSTRONG  (Read 1512 times)

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of Lawson ARMSTRONG
« on: Wednesday 03 October 18 02:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find out further information on the parents on Lawson ARMSTRONG who was bpt. 28 Aug 1720 at All Saints, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

His father was John ARMSTRONG and his mother Jane LAWSON.

The names LAWSON ARMSTRONG have carried on down my family for several generations as both first and middle names.

Would love to be able to find out more about the two people whose last names feature so prominently in my family tree.

Any suggestions would as always be greatly appreciated.

many thanks
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Lawson ARMSTRONG
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
LAWSON ARMSTRONG 1720 - 1782
freereg
He was noted as a gentleman"" Died 04 Dec 1802, age 82 buried 7 Dec 1802 Ulgham, Northumberland

I can find the birth record for Lawson and the ones I think are his siblings such as John 1717, Susanna 1722.

There are also baptisms at St Nicholas Parish Rec and Nonconf ,Newcastle in the same period parents John & Jane

Elizabeth Armstrong was baptised All Saints in 1712 but her parents were John & Elizabeth, so was John married before?

Sadly no marriage for the parents anywhere but a large number of births for both names.

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Durhamrecordsonline has an entry for a Marriage Bond for a John Armstrong/Jane Lawson marriage 1714 at St Nicholas, Newcastle upon Tyne. I have looked for the Marriage Bond on familysearch but cannot find it nor can I find a record of the marriage.

As the site is pay to view I have not checked details, so don't know exactly what the entry says.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 12:33 BST (UK) »
Here's the bond http://www.rootschat.com/links/01msw/  The top part, in Latin, is terribly blurred.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 12:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks jenB. I didn't think of looking there, I was only looking at the Calendar of Allegations bit.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 13:06 BST (UK) »

There is also a more informative  entry if you browse through the data set " Durham Marriage Bonds and Allegations 1594 - 1815". This is browse only - go to image 82 in the marriage abstracts1708 - 1729.

This is what it says
1713/1714

Mch 8 Armstrong John, (no sig), Newcastle,gen
Lawson, Jane, spr  (He S Nic NC; She Warkwth dir Salkeld, Tho , NC, gen)

Presumably Warkwth stands for Warkworth. Although it does not of necessity mean that she was born there, it might be worth looking for Lawsons in Warkworth parish.

Also bear in mind the calendar!

I think you should look at the will of George Lawson, esquire of Gloster Hill in the County of Northumberland (Warkworth) probate 16 Oct 1738 -  a quick look shows he refers to his nephews John Armstrong and Lawson Armstrong. Was George a brother of Jane?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 13:59 BST (UK) »
It is also worth googling "Lawson Gloster Hill Warkworth"

The "top" hit is a a piece about The Township of Gloster Hill and there is quite a bit about George Lawson:

"...before the close  of the seventeenth century it was in the possesion of George Lawson,who probably obtained it in a marriage with an heiress of Palfrey. He was a member of a branch of the family of Lawson of Longhirst, which had acquired lands held by the knights of of St John at Ulgham and was a man of business habits, philanthropy and taste. He was a benefactor to the town and parish of Warkworth, to which he gave the clock of the parish church; he also built or rebuilt the market cross and the still existing town's house..."

It goes on to quote an advert  from the Newcastle Courant 1732 re the Gloster Hill Estate but was not sold then. " George Lawson died here  a widower in 1738 and was buried not at Ulgham with his ancestors but in the church of Warkworth".

There then follows an abstract of his will which mentions nephews John and Lawson Armstrong and an inventory of the goods of Gloster Hill.

I would also suggest looking at Hodgson's History of Northumberland for more about the Lawsons.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 15:01 BST (UK) »
Further to the above the will of Robert Lawson of Ulgham Probate November 1697 may help as he refers to his son George Lawson of Gloster Hill and granddaughters Elizabeth and Jane. Rather than being brother was George Lawson Jane's uncle?

William

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hodgson -History of Northumberland (Part 2  Vol 2 Page 175) has this referring to the Church at Ulgham

"...excepting one solitary inscription on the south wall, to the memory of Robert Lawson, of Ulgham, ,and his family...

Near this place lyeth the body of Mr Robert Lawson of Ulgham, who died the 8th day of August 1697.Of Mrs Elizabeth Lawson, the first wife of the said Robert, who died 21st Feb 1668. Of Mrs Catherine Lawson, his second wife, who died the 18th Jan 1698. Of Jane Lawson, daughter to Robert and Elizabeth, who died the 18th Jan 1663. Of Ralph Lawson, second son to Robert and Eliz., who died 15 Sept 1693. And of Lawson  Armstrong, who died 4thDec 1822, aged 82".

William