Author Topic: Storing letters/documents  (Read 2057 times)

Offline thecalifornialife

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Storing letters/documents
« on: Wednesday 03 October 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
I have old letters from my great great grandma that I want to archive and like 100 old certificates from the military and jobs my dad received before he passed away. What is the best way to store them in a binder? Are there EXTREMELY sturdy sleeves that are very hard to bend or should I look at normal acid free sleeves and put a cardboard archival back in the sleeve? I’ve seen something like this on archiving websites. What do you suggest? My other concern is that the letters have 2 sides to them.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Storing letters/documents
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 20:02 BST (UK) »
If it was me (well it was) I scanned all the letters (took forever)  and had them made into a book, just on one of those online photo sites.  Which had the advantage of also being able to include pages of notes and photographs relevant to the content of the letters.  Had several copies printed for family and then I sent the originals to our national archives (who fortunately wanted them) If they hadn't I was preparing to buy proper archival boxes, which seem to cost an arm and leg,   to store them in, thinking that they didn't need to be handled at all since anyone who wanted to could read them in the books.