Author Topic: Connacht Ireland - Ancestry DNA Region choice  (Read 3575 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Connacht Ireland - Ancestry DNA Region choice
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 October 18 23:16 BST (UK) »
Have you traced your family in the records- in England?
Have you then found them with Irish heritage?

My Irish DNA shows Connacht and as Sinann points out, it is mostly the American migrants who have tested and show matches.

In my case it is specifically North Mayo. Ancestry, of course, doesn’t show this.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 October 18 23:35 BST (UK) »
Anytime I hear the Black Irish being mentioned I always think....  Connacht

Even here you'll see The people of the Claddagh lived quite separately from the City of Galway and retained their Gaelic customs, language and dress well into the 1930s.
plus.....they married within that circle!  Many never learned English let alone marry an English speaker.

http://antoilean.blogspot.com/2012/12/old-colour-photos-of-ireland-in-1913.html
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 October 18 02:30 BST (UK) »
I can see the logic with that, but there was absolutely no need to be so caustic.
Kit

hallmark never wastes words.  :)

Irish emigrants often went to an area where relatives, friends or neighbours had already gone. They might have done the same jobs, attended the same church, sent their children to the same school. When those children grew up many found a spouse from their community. Surnames of many fellow-pupils at my primary school were the same as inhabitants of my GF's parish in Mayo. There were also some from Roscommon, one of whom married into my family.  My GF's 2nd wife, my GM was from Mayo. Family of 1st wife was from Co. Dublin; she was first of her family to be born in England. Her family did not have an Irish surname; it was probably Anglicised as many were. I know that 2 of my 4 aunts-by-marriage, born in the town, were from Irish families; maiden surname of one was common in my GF's Mayo parish. In contrast to all these Mayo folk, only one person in the town was known to be from Ulster. People from my GF's parish were in neighbouring towns.
It has been reckoned that a quarter of the population of Lancashire have Irish ancestors. My English mother, born in another town,  had 2 Irish great-grandparents, probably from Mayo.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 October 18 02:47 BST (UK) »

Even here you'll see The people of the Claddagh lived quite separately from the City of Galway and retained their Gaelic customs, language and dress well into the 1930s.
plus.....they married within that circle!  Many never learned English let alone marry an English speaker.

Wonderful pictures. One has the subject's name.
Cowban

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 October 18 04:17 BST (UK) »

Wonderful pictures. One has the subject's name.

The photos are amazing! It says they are colour photos taken in 1913, but to my eye they look to have been recently colourised.  :-\ The reds and greens in particular look to have been "enhanced."

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 October 18 18:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your interest and I hope my print screen will upload.  This is 'Joe' Cunninghams Region Result.  Keeping in mind that Joe is still very much with us, I'm not sure how appropriate this post is?

Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 October 18 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood, yes I have Peter Cunningham, Joe's GGF and my 2nd GGF in the 1851 Scotland Census in Old Monkland, Lanarkshire.  Peter has married Roseanna Murphy in Glasgow's St Andrews Cathedral (RC) on 18 Jun 1848 and they are shown with daughter Mary b1850.  By the 1861c they have moved to Heworth Lane, Heworth, Durham where further children are born, including my GGF Bartholomew.  In the 1871c they can be found in Widnes, Cheshire.  On all census, they are only referred to as from Ireland.

I also have no idea where in Ireland Roseanna Murphy was from.

For Galway, there is a definite link in both Joe's and my heritage on this side, as Bartholomew went on to 'marry' (no civil registration I have found) in the Widnes area, Annie Dal(e)y from Athenry, Galway.  I have found her parent's marriage and her older brother Christopher's baptism in Oranmore.  Bartholomew is Joe's GF and my GGF.

Again, thanks for your interest and advice. Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 October 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone and Sinann,

further to the information I gave to Heywood, there is a Peter Cunninghamd in Scotland's 1841c at Old Wynd, St Enochs, Glasgow aged 15 (15-19?) but he is on his own boarding with the Corrigan family.  Could be him.  However, I did find another Peter Cunningham in the 1851c in Old Monkland at the same time as my Peter and Mary.  No idea if the 1841c Peter is mine.

Hallmark - thanks for the links which are interesting.

Kit