Author Topic: Derry City Cemetery burial records online soon.  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Derry City Cemetery burial records online soon.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 October 18 20:19 BST (UK) »
Great news- only a few more weeks to wait  ;)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Derry City Cemetery burial records online soon.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 October 18 23:39 BST (UK) »
.   Back in 2016, the Derry Tower Museum Archive team called on members of the public to help preserve and record the City Cemetery's valuable burial registers. Following dedicated training, the volunteers were able to complete the work, using their unique local knowledge of surnames and street names to turn seemingly illegible 150 year-old handwriting into a powerful genealogical tool...

Now shortlisted for this year's Heritage Angels Award for Northern Ireland, the project gives all  Irish family historians the opportunity to say a huge thank you to the volunteers who have worked for two years to make this important record collection accessible online.     

An excellent example of a community effort for the benefit of all! How much better, too, that it was local people with local knowledge.

I've just voted for them....maybe others will feel it a worthy entry and do likewise.I especially like that it was done "Following dedicated training".
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .