Author Topic: Is the name Ciss or Cissie a real name  (Read 11417 times)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Is the name Ciss or Cissie a real name
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 October 18 21:41 BST (UK) »
My Mum had a half sister known as Cissie but she was registered and bap as far as I'm aware as Elizabeth

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 October 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
One of my Aunts was know as Cissie but her name was Frances.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 06 October 18 04:05 BST (UK) »
My great uncle's wife was called Cissie, her actual name was Bridget.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: IS THE NAME CISS OR CISSIE A REAL NAME
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 October 18 07:33 BST (UK) »
Ciss is often a pet name for a girl in a family of boys = "sister"
Cheers. It must also be an Irish thing as my grandmother was also called Ciss. I recall a souvenir glass with Ciss on it at her house.

She came from a family 4 boys and herself.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 October 18 07:48 BST (UK) »
This brother and sister in right area might be of interest  Jane and Thomas
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wexford/Ferns/Ferns_Town/1789118/

Jane's daughter Bridget born 1885
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1885/02622/1967730.pdf

Jane's marriage 1893
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1893/10618/5868675.pdf

both appear to have been born illigit Jane 1865 and Thomas 1869 to Anty Roche

possible marriage for Thomas to Lucy Boland 1918
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1918/09722/5527766.pdf

Thomas Roche's pension application 1943 says date of birth 15th July 1869 date of marriage 5th Aug 1918 address Pearse Cottage ,Ferns
still married no children alive
died 1952
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1952/04485/4177439.pdf

http://mspcsearch.militaryarchives.ie/search.aspx

so wondering could Jane's daughter Bridget be a candidate for Cissie

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 October 18 11:18 BST (UK) »
In my family on Cheshire/Flintshire borders a couple of instances of Cissie. In each case Cissie was Elizabeth.
Ray

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 October 18 12:02 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Rootschatters, the Cissie or Ciss question has drawn a lot of interest and has been very helpful. I'll try some of the names out and see what I get back from my searches.

the family summarised by Rootschatter 'dathai' this morning, sat. 6th Oct. is my Roche family. Thomas Roche 1869 - 1952 from Ferns was an active member of the Ferns battalion of Irish Volunteers in the 1916 'Rising'. Bridget Roche born 1885 is my grandmother. About 3 weeks ago I spoke to a 93 year old resident in Ferns who knew Thomas well, and she gave me some names of Thomas' family - one of these names was 'Cissie'; it wasn't clear if 'Cissie ' was a niece or a sibling. On the same day I visited the Atheneum museum in Enniscorthy to see a commemorative exhibition for the 1916 'Rising'. While there I met Helen Ashdown's mother and she showed me Helen's book called 'The Last Surrender'- The 1916 Rising. In the back were all the names of people featured in her book. Along with Thomas Roche there was Cissie Roche and john Roche. Unfortunately I had to return to England and left Enniscorthy that afternoon. i have looked on the internet to see if the book can be purchased/loaned in England but have drawn a blank. Helen's mother said it's publication was brief and it's no longer available to buy. I think the book can only be found  in the Enniscorthy environs. i live in England and doubt that any kind of Inter - library loan can be arranged between the republic of Ireland and England. Like Rootschatter 'Dathai', I wonder if 'Cissie' is my grandmother Bridget too, I'd really like to find out - Helen Ashdown's book may help. If my appeal through Rootschat doesn't work, I'll have to think of something else. Can anyone reading this message who lives in the Enniscorthy area read the pages in the book relevant to Cissie Roche (if they can track the book down, possibly the Enniscorthy library). I'll leave it with you, Rootschatters and see what comes up, but thanks for all your very prompt replies - it keeps the search 'alive'. Geraldine96   

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 06 October 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
Geraldine....you may want to consider asking a moderator to change the title of your post to request a library look up for the book.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 06 October 18 13:55 BST (UK) »
No apologies for being slightly off-topic, but I went to an all-boys school and there a couple of sissies in my class.

Martin