Author Topic: RYAN & MOYNIHAN St. Mary’s Barracks, Gillingham  (Read 480 times)

Offline hwlambert

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RYAN & MOYNIHAN St. Mary’s Barracks, Gillingham
« on: Saturday 06 October 18 01:09 BST (UK) »
Help please.
On 22 Oct 1845, Bridget Ryan married Denis Moynihan at Roman Catholic Church, Brompton, Medway, by Rev. James Doyle.
Both were living at St. Mary's Barracks, Gillingham, at the time of marriage.
Bridget Ryan was a widow. Her father was listed as Michael Ryan, a labourer.

If Bridget was a widow and living at the Barracks, would she have been the widow of a soldier? If so, how do I find out who he was and when this first marriage took place? The only death I found was in 1845 of a Patrick Ryan, which would tie in nicely, but I can’t find a marriage. She would have been a young bride as when she died in 1898 she was 71, although I think she may have lost a few years somewhere. Did Irish women take their husbands surname?

Denis Moynihan was in Chelsea Hospital in October 1845 and Bridget Ryan was a nurse in later years, so its possible they met there.

Heather

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RYAN & MOYNIHAN St. Mary’s Barracks, Gillingham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 October 18 08:01 BST (UK) »
It might be that Bridget's maiden name was also Ryan. If her first husband was also Irish then they might have married there rather than in England. Have you found any children from her previous marriage?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hwlambert

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RYAN & MOYNIHAN St. Mary’s Barracks, Gillingham
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 October 18 08:41 BST (UK) »
Yes I think it was Ryan too. I have not found any children to her first marriage but then I don't know for sure who she married. It is a mystery why she was living in the military barracks. Apparently she was born around 1826, so not very old when she married for the second time in 1845.
Thanks for your input.
Heather