Author Topic: John ALLAN d 1784 Elie  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Duncan32

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John ALLAN d 1784 Elie
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 October 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
Harry

John ALLAN is my 5th great-grandfather. I am descended from him through his daughter, Anne (b 1757). I'm new to all this, and it seems I have direct line ancestors through inter-marriages between OVENSTONEs and ALLANs in various generations, so looks like I have some work to do !!

It also looks to me like the OVENSTONE surname morphs through the ages (UNSTOUN/UNSTON//UNSTONE/OVENSTON/OVENSTONE)? Do you know whether this is true (as I may well have misinterpreted some of the records)

Regards
Duncan

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 October 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
 (Replying to Dorrie) Yes, and the late Aitken Fyall, a native of St. Monans, wrote a very good book about the village and its history, with a photo of his granny Jenny Easson!

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 October 18 14:42 BST (UK) »
Harry

John ALLAN is my 5th great-grandfather. I am descended from him through his daughter, Anne (b 1757). I'm new to all this, and it seems I have direct line ancestors through inter-marriages between OVENSTONEs and ALLANs in various generations, so looks like I have some work to do !!

It also looks to me like the OVENSTONE surname morphs through the ages (UNSTOUN/UNSTON//UNSTONE/OVENSTON/OVENSTONE)? Do you know whether this is true (as I may well have misinterpreted some of the records)

Regards
Duncan

You are absolutely right, the surname has been spelt in many weird and wonderful ways. There are still Ovenstones in the area, and some are mentioned in the Aitken Fyall book which I quoted just now to Dorrie.

Harry

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 October 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
Duncan - Lots of names have various spellings throughout time. Don't be put of my this.

I have a Helen Ovenstone born around 1835 who married my 1st cousin 4 x removed - David Easson in 1856. Helen's parents were John Ovenstone and Elizabeth Mackie.

Harry - That looks like a good book I must try to get a copy.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 October 18 15:19 BST (UK) »
Just do a Google search for Aitken Fyall and you will get several hits for his book.

East Neuk families can be difficult to research as so many people have the same names and cousins and second-cousins marry (I suspect I'm preaching to the converted on this thread!).

I always have to be careful to distinguish between Robert Allan and Agnes Meldrum who were married in 1817 in St. Monans, and Robert Allan and Agnes Meldrum who were married in 1827 in Elie but ended up living in St. Monans. The two women were related, and both relate to me on my grandmother Watson's side.

And just to stir the pot a bit more, the Robert Allan and Agnes Meldrum married in 1827 had a son, William Meldrum Allan, who married Elizabeth Watson of Cellardyke, a sister of my great-grandfather Watson! (Pictured left as my male avatar with his wife and distant cousin Margaret Watson).

Harry

Offline Duncan32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 October 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your advice and the benefit of your experience.

And your not kidding - it's looking very complicated !! I now find my great (etc.) aunt OVENSTONE's marrying their GRAY cousins in Elie in more than one generation.....

....think I need to improve my record-keeping....!!

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 October 18 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi folks, thanks Harry for the posting the photograph's of my Great, Great Grandfathers boat the Beautiful Star. I am going to Kings Lynn on Friday to visit the grave along with my wife and sister. On Thursday my daughter and i visited Elie ,Kilconquhar, & St Monace there are Ovenstone's buried in the cemeteries there.
                                             Colin.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 October 18 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi folks, thanks Harry for the posting the photograph's of my Great, Great Grandfathers boat the Beautiful Star. I am going to Kings Lynn on Friday to visit the grave along with my wife and sister. On Thursday my daughter and i visited Elie ,Kilconquhar, & St Monace there are Ovenstone's buried in the cemeteries there.
                                             Colin.

Aitken Fyall's book about St. Monans has 8 entries for Ovenstone in the index and a photo of "The Musical Ovenstones" with their band.

Harry

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 October 18 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Harry, i take it you are related to Tom Watson who used to visit  Kings Lynn often.
                                          Colin.