Author Topic: Baptism of "Anynis(?)" Wardell, February 1578 in Killingholme.  (Read 957 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism of "Anynis(?)" Wardell, February 1578 in Killingholme.
« on: Saturday 06 October 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

I have been trying to read this baptism image on find my past.
It has been transcribed as "Angus Wardall" on there. However, it definitely says in the original image: "daughter of". It is the fifth one up from the bottom on the left hand side page here:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs/lincs/killingholme_par_1_1/0455&parentid=gbprs/lincs/bap/00980321

What I have been trying to do is find the baptism of the mother of Sir Edward Lake. He was a Royalist in the Civil War, was injured at the battle of Edgehill, and buried in 1674 in Lincoln Cathedral.
Edward was baptised in Tetney on the 22nd of February, 1600.
He was the son of Richard Lake, and Anne Wardell, who were married in Keelby on the 18th of May 1600. Because the calendar year began on the 25th of March prior to 1752, this means that this Edward would have been baptised in Tetney, 9 months after his parents were married. He has been transcribed: "Edward Lakes" on Family Search.
There are many "pedigree" pages on the internet stating that Edward Lake's mother, Anne Wardell. was "the youngest daughter and co-heiress, of Edward Wardell of Keelby."
My 11x great granddad was Edward Wardell. He was buried in Keelby in 1619. His was the only burial of an Edward Wardell in Keelby that I can find for around this time.
He married Joan Swallow in Killingholme in 1573, and had these children all baptised in Killingholme:
Ursula - 1573
John - Feb 1575 - May 1576.
Margaret - Feb 1576.
Anyis (?) - Feb 1578
Katherine - Baptised June 1582 in Killingholme. Possibly buried 31.05.1593 in Habrough.

My 10x great grandma Ursula Wardell, married George Dean in Habrough, on the 11th of November 1594.
At some point Joan Wardell died, and Edward Wardell my 11x great married a Cicely, because "Cicely wife of Edward Wardell" was buried on the 3rd of July 1619 in Keelby, five days before Edward. Also Cicely's " Apperell and Side-Saddle" are mentioned in the Inventory of Edward.
The closest I can find to a marriage is a (?) Wardell who married a Cicely Wright in Caistor in 1596.

Also, on the same day that Anne Wardell married Richard Lake, 18th of May 1600 in Keelby, a Margaret Wardell married John Markham.

Unfortunately Edward Wardell's will does not seem to have survived. Or at least if it did survive, it has not been documented. I have not been able to find it in any Will reference books at Lincolnshire Archives.
But from books about Keelby, and the Dean's (his descendants and my ancestors), in Lincolnshire Archives he must have made one: Forty shillings was left from him after his death to the church of Keelby, and this is mentioned in the Bishop's transcripts.
Edward also made an Inventory. It has been transcribed as: "Edward Woodale" on Lincs To The Past, but if you zoom in close it does actually say: "Edward Wardal/Wardale.":
https://www.lincstothepast.com/Inventory---Woodale--Edward--1619-1620--------/1385437.record?pt=S

I would like please peoples ideas on what the baptism register states. The one in the title is the closest I can find for any children that he had with anything resembling the Christian name of Anne.
And if what I have found out is correct regarding the other siblings, then this "Anyis" would indeed have been the youngest daughter of Edward Wardell, who was buried in 1619 in Keelby.
I also find it significant that Margaret Wardell was married on the same day and place as this Anne.

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of "Anynis(?)" Wardell, February 1578 in Killingholme.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 October 18 20:19 BST (UK) »
Can you post a snippet? (I don't have a FindMyPest sub).

Without seeing it my first thought would be Agnis opr Annys.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 October 18 23:43 BST (UK) »
It's written Angnis. The third letter has the characteristic flat top of a g, like the g in dowghter.
I would say more likely a version of Agnes than of Ann.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 October 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
It's written Angnis. The third letter has the characteristic flat top of a g, like the g in dowghter.
I would say more likely a version of Agnes than of Ann.

Thank you.  :)