Author Topic: Watch Case Maker in Liverpool  (Read 483 times)

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Watch Case Maker in Liverpool
« on: Saturday 06 October 18 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, some time ago (with the help of Rootschat) I found the following baptism record;

'St Nicolas’ C of E Church, Liverpool (Now Our Lady and St Nicholas’):
Born 27th December 1770, Maria, Daughter of John Wakefield, Watch Case Maker, Grange Street. Baptised 21st January 1771'.

I was just wondering if anybody could help me to trace John Wakefield - I was wondering if, as he has a trade, he may be listed somewhere or may have had a shop?

Thanks for any help, Luke

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline bevo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Watch Case Maker in Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 October 18 09:13 BST (UK) »

There is some information on the Liverpool Horology database

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/wml/collections/horology/database.aspx

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 October 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
Wow Bevo, that sight gives me info on siblings I didn't know about, mothers full name and information I couldn't have dreamed I'd ever find.

Thank you, you've really made my week!

luke

Offline bevo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 October 18 12:32 BST (UK) »

Yes, it's a great site. I've also found lots of things on it...

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 October 18 22:16 BST (UK) »
A watch case maker would be unlikely to have a shop of their own.

Someone else (or a team of people) would be making the movements, a third person would be making the watch faces and the finished watches would be sold by a fourth party who had an actual shop.

Very few people have ever made the whole watch from start to finish. I know of only one working at present - Roger Smith in the Isle of Man, who was taught by the late George Daniels. George Daniels is said to have made a total of 27 watches in his lifetime.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Andrewalston, I didn't realise this was the case; I assumed one person would make and sell the full thing and wow only 26 that seems quite astonishing really for his whole career. On the same site I found another relative Ralph Wakefield - he is listed as a Watchmaker and Watch Case Maker - would this be the clock face and the cases do you think rather than the workings?
Many thanks, Luke