Author Topic: Gladstone/Gladston/Gladstaines/Gladstanes Family  (Read 548 times)

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gladstone/Gladston/Gladstaines/Gladstanes Family
« on: Sunday 07 October 18 07:40 BST (UK) »
Yes one of those families where the last name seems to change not only with each generation but even within a generation.  Trying to sort it out has been fun. 

If you have any connections to this family I am happy to share any further information.  Or if you can help in anyway with some of the stumbling blocks or possible errors I have probably made that would also be great.

Anyway here's what I have so far...

William Gladstains bpt 11 Aug 1695 Holy Island, Northumberland.  Father James, mother unknown.  I have not yet been able to go any further back.  Though I did notice that there were quite a few Gladstains in the borders of Scotland so it's possible this is where the family comes from.

William had a son Robert Gladstains bpt 12 Jan 1726 Holy Island.  He died 8 Feb 1789 Berwick Upon Tweed.  He married Prudence (last name unknown) and had a son.

This son was Robert Gladstone born c1760 Northumberland.  Died 13 Oct 1824 Berwick Upon Tweed.  Robert married Isabel Taylor and had 13 children.

One of these children was Mary Gladstone bpt 7 Feb 1791 Berwick Upon Tweed.  She married Charles Emery 1 Jun 1812 Alnwick and had 4 children.
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gladstone/Gladston/Gladstaines/Gladstanes Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 October 18 14:31 BST (UK) »
Black in his surnames has Gladstone named after a farm in the Upper Ward of Lanarkshire. Gladstone near Biggar 1296.

Skoosh.