Author Topic: Trying to find Charles EMERY  (Read 447 times)

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find Charles EMERY
« on: Sunday 07 October 18 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to trace a Charles EMERY who according to the various census's was born c1791 in Felton, Northumberland.

So far I am having no luck.

I did manage to find his marriage in 1812 Alnwick to Mary GLADSTONE but nothing further other than being on the census (he was a shoemaker).

Any suggestions on how to go further?

PS I know that the name EMERY can sometimes be spelt EMMERY or AMORY or AMERY so this may be causing my lack of finding him problem
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find Charles EMERY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 October 18 09:41 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few baptisms in Felton with the surname Ambry.

There is one of a Thomas Ambry born to William and Jane in 1789. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-XX6S-YFM?i=49&cc=1309819&cat=1808683

In 1822 a Thomas Ambry married an Alice Tate in Felton.

This couple can be found in Felton in the 1841 census under the surname Amery. Thomas's age is 50, i.e. born c 1791 but age is rounded down in this census.

Following this line of thought, there is the baptism of a Charles Ambry to William and Jane in Felton in 1791.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-XX6S-5LM?i=53&cc=1309819&cat=1808683

I wonder if his surname went the same way as Thomas's?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 October 18 12:27 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few baptisms in Felton with the surname Ambry.

All the transcriptions with the surname Ambry seem to be sourced from the Bishops Transcripts. It would be interesting to know which name appeared on the original document? It's not beyond the bounds of possibility the name Amory was mis-read as Ambry  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pete ash

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 October 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred, i have Charles in my family tree but only as a relation of a relation (My ggg grandfathers  brothers father in law ;D) so i haven;t really put much research into him, however Jen is correct in that the Amery/Emery spelling was previously recorded as "Ambry" in the Felton register.
 Charles and Marys first son was baptised in Felton church as Robert Gledson Ambry in 1812 and Charles is described as "native of Felton" and Mary "native of Framlington"
 Hope this helps you along,Pete.

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 October 18 21:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much.

I had a feeling that his last name might have been recorded differently somewhere but never thought of the last name of AMBRY.  Yet another variation :)

You've given me so much more to go on.
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);