Author Topic: Grace Inglis  (Read 3227 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Grace Inglis
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 October 18 23:38 BST (UK) »
You really need to contact the tree owner for more info
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mccubbin

• RootsChat Member
  • Richard Low
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 October 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
I did contact the tree owner, they give me nothing, she said it was private tree, I asked her a few questions about grace, and she came back to me and said she could not tell me nothing.
so there we go, that's why I came on here.
its ok if you cant find nothing, least you have been helpful and tried ,more than some people ;D
karen
McCubbin-Wigtownshire
Gilmour-Glasserton,Stirling,Edinburgh
Thomson- Midlothian
Low-Aberdeen
Wilson-Aberdeenshire
Souness-East Lothian
Bathgate-Edinburgh
Kennedy-Stirling
Stewart's-Perthshire

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 October 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

You say that Grace and James WARDROP were divorced in 1951. You think she was still in Scotland at the time of the divorce but could it be possible that she had left earlier and the divorce was because of her desertion or separation?

Were there any children?

Sorry, not much help!

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mccubbin

• RootsChat Member
  • Richard Low
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 October 18 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
Grace was here for her divorce, she was staying at the time  at  bigger in Scotland.
now she might of married again in Australia, it all depends when she went, when she got divorced from James, she would of been only 45, still a young women.
I will need to make a trip to Register House in Edinburgh to look for children, as I know she did have children, as the private tree on Ancestry is her grandson.

thank  you everyone
karen

McCubbin-Wigtownshire
Thomson- Midlothian
Low-Aberdeen
Wilson-Aberdeenshire
Souness-East Lothian
Bathgate-Edinburgh
Kennedy-Stirling
Stewart's-Perthshire

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 October 18 13:12 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to the National Archives of Australia's INDEX for inward passenger lists.  It is not complete, but includes passengers arriving by ship and by plane up to about 1966.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SearchScreens/PassengerSearch.aspx

I wonder if your person of interest may have travelled under a different surname ... did her mum marry?  if so, perhaps try under her mum's married surname...

You may find it sensible to try entering just a surname, and noticing how many entries come up showing passengers as Mrs or Miss SURNAME, no given name, many times not even an initial. 

Ancestry has uploaded a number of electoral rolls up to around 1980.  Have you found your person listed there?  As a British born lass, assuming she migrated to Australia in the 1950s or 1960s, she would have been eligible to enrol without needing to become an Australian citizen, and she should be findable in those rolls. 

There are eight jurisdictions that make up the nation, Australia.  Each has its own BDM institutions, different protocols for each, and no central Australian BDM registry.   Australia has strict privacy rules, and there's restricted access to non-historical BDM records, so the tree-owner is likely protecting the privacy of his living parent who is the child of your Gran's cousin. 

Here's a link to RChat's Australia resources board
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia-resources-offers/

May I ask if you 'knew' your Gran's cousin had migrated to Australia before you actually noticed the submitted Ancestry tree?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mccubbin

• RootsChat Member
  • Richard Low
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 October 18 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hello majm
thank you for that, only thing is Australia national archives is closed for now, they are moving so you cant get on there web site, it says,  I will keep that in mind.
no I did not know that Grace had come to Australia, it was when I could not find her death on Scotland's people that I went on Ancestor and found her.
I was only asking Grace family just  about grace, not to worry, I will find out about her one day.
so thank you everyone for your time looking for my wee Gracie. ;)
McCubbin-Wigtownshire
Thomson- Midlothian
Low-Aberdeen
Wilson-Aberdeenshire
Souness-East Lothian
Bathgate-Edinburgh
Kennedy-Stirling
Stewart's-Perthshire

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 October 18 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,
   Just to eliminate one possibility.

On NSW BDM there is a death of a Grace WEST in 1984 with mother Margaret and no father given.
https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history-research/family-history-search.aspx

However the grave makes clear that she was born in 1915 and had maiden name O'Meara
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/48620635#view-photo=168571668  So this is not your Grace.

With only 1 parent name and a fairly common name like Margaret, it means that there could be more false hits.

I wonder if you could ask the grandson if he could just tell you where Grace is buried ....?  That seems like a reasonable request and isn't being nosey about the rest of her life (if that's what he is afraid of).

Ros
( I did search passenger lists on national Archives for Inglis and Wardrop while it was on its last wobbly legs)
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline mccubbin

• RootsChat Member
  • Richard Low
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 October 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
I wrote to the grandson, its not even the grandson its his wife, never heard anything back.
maybe my wee Gracie, is a mass murder ha ha, I was thinking maybe grace found out who her father was? Grace had 4 sister they were illegitimate as well, its a big mystery.
so I don't know if that is my wee Gracie  rosball, only thing is right is her mother's name, thank you for your help.
I think she must of been under cover.
karen
McCubbin-Wigtownshire
Thomson- Midlothian
Low-Aberdeen
Wilson-Aberdeenshire
Souness-East Lothian
Bathgate-Edinburgh
Kennedy-Stirling
Stewart's-Perthshire

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 October 18 23:15 BST (UK) »
....thank you for that, only thing is Australia national archives is closed for now, they are moving so you cant get on there web site, it says,  I will keep that in mind.....

Ros
( I did search passenger lists on national Archives for Inglis and Wardrop while it was on its last wobbly legs)

:D  :D  :D
I have, just now, accessed the naa.gov.au passenger arrivals list.  It is working fine for me.  It was also working fine for me when I posted earlier.

The  'long way in' to the passenger list index:

http://naa.gov.au/collection/search/  (Here at present you can read a message about ONE of the NAA  (Western Australia) offices being currently closed and thus no access at that location -  :)  )

then click on 'Record Search' at the line that reads : Use RecordSearch to search our collection.

And then, at the menu bar there, click on 'Passenger arrivals'  and search using any likely surname your Gran's cousin may have used  (In my earlier post I suggested, as an example, the married surname of the mum of your Gran's cousin).  Then, on the results, go across to the heading 'digital copy' and click on that to view that particular passenger list.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.