Author Topic: Absalom Rees & daughter Daisy Rees possibly of Swansea?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Absalom Rees & daughter Daisy Rees possibly of Swansea?
« on: Sunday 07 October 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Absalom Henry (or Harry) Rees named as Father (deceased - General Labourer) on Marriage Certificate of Daisy Emily Rees (Age 20) and Bryan Nolan in Swansea 1914.
I can't find any information on Absalom or Daisy before then although there are lots of Henry Rees/Daisy Rees but I don’t know how to confirm if any of these are a correct match without ordering a lot of birth certificates.
Neither spouse are listed at the addresses on the certificate in the 1911 census although Daisy’s address gives David & Frances Evans at 29 Danygraig Terrace, St Thomas, Swansea. Their daughter Lily is presumably the witness named on the certificate.

Any help would be appreciated!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Absalom Rees & daughter Daisy Rees possibly of Swansea?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 October 18 14:45 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Are you saying that you have not yet found Daisy herself in the 1911 census?  That would be an important step, in order to ascertain her birthplace.

Do you have an exact birthdate for her, either from the 1939 Register or from a death registration?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 October 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
I see that Bryan Nolan died in Pontardawe in 1927, and it looks as though Daisy remarried to Maurice Moriarty later that year.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 October 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
Likely birthdate for Daisy looks like 6 February 1895.

The closest I can see by way of a birth registration is Jun qtr 1895 Pontypridd as Daisy Emma Rees, mother’s maiden name Jones. 

However she doesn’t fit as the 1901 census shows her as a daughter of Thomas & Mary Rees.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 October 18 15:32 BST (UK) »
Given that Daisy was sometimes a pet name rather than a formal name, another avenue you may wish to explore is the birth registration of Caroline Emily Rees, Mar qtr 1895 Gloucester.

I haven’t checked her out yet, but she may be a daughter of Absalom Henry Rees and Sophia Powell, who married in Gloucester on 30 August 1891.

Absalom was 23, son of Robert Edward Rees, shipwright.

Sophia was 19, daughter of Charles Powell, marine dealer.

(If Lily Evans was one witness to the 1914 marriage, who was the other?)

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 October 18 18:02 BST (UK) »
Given that Daisy was sometimes a pet name rather than a formal name, another avenue you may wish to explore is the birth registration of Caroline Emily Rees, Mar qtr 1895 Gloucester.

I haven’t checked her out yet, but she may be a daughter of Absalom Henry Rees and Sophia Powell, who married in Gloucester on 30 August 1891.

Absalom was 23, son of Robert Edward Rees, shipwright.

Sophia was 19, daughter of Charles Powell, marine dealer.

(If Lily Evans was one witness to the 1914 marriage, who was the other?)

Thank you for taking the time to look. I had looked into the Absalom in Gloucester I also believe Sofia Powell died a few years after marrying him and he remarried Clara Benger Smart and they had a son called Saxon Rees. Absolom may have been a border in Risca in 1911 but appears to have died in Gloucester in 1920 so if he is the same person it doesn't tie in with the Daisy Emily Rees on the marriage certificate.

The other witness was Thomas Conowley.
I found a Thomas Bernard Xavier Connolly who's occupation was Opener in Japan Tin Works which I believe was north of Swansea. He would have only been 17/18 years old at the date of the wedding though. But he may have been linked to Daisy's spouse Bryan Nolan who was a Furnaceman and who died in Pontardawe (he was my Great Grandfather and I know my Grandmother grew up near Ystradgunlais) where there was another large Tin works.

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 October 18 20:42 BST (UK) »
I cannot find an exact record for Daisy Emily Rees with any Absalom (or Henry) Rees in 1911 or 1901.

Yes the 1939 register gives Daisy Moriarty living in Coventry with Maurice Moriarty and Arthur Northwood (my grandfather). Daisy’s daughter Doreen Kathleen Nolan is living a few doors down the same street and married Arthur the next year.
Daisy’s birthdate is given as you say 6 Feb 1895 in Swansea but I can’t find a birth record which matches exactly.
Her death record gives an estimated year of birth as 1896 but not an exact date.

I did see Daisy Emma Rees in Pontypridd. Could Absalom have already died by 1901 and her mother remarried?
I might have to order Daisy Emma’s birth cert and see who is named as father. I was hoping to find a marriage or death record for Absalom first.

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 October 18 21:10 BST (UK) »
There is also an Emily Rees born 1895 in Swansea or a Lilian Rees b1896 living with David Rees and Elanor Rees in the 1901 Census on Windmill Terrace which is very close to Danygraig Terrace but neighbouring parishes.
I was thinking Absalom could be using David as a first name as Absalom = son of David?
Unfortunately there are a lot of David Rees around at that time, as well as Emily/Margaret/Daisy Rees too!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 October 18 22:35 BST (UK) »
I still think Caroline Emily Rees is worth keeping in mind unless and until she can be positively eliminated.  Her baptism date of 27 February 1895 is very close to Daisy Moriarty’s stated birthdate (unfortunately the baptism register in this case - St Luke, Gloucester - is not annotated with birthdates).  You say that Daisy’s birthplace was given as Swansea, but birthplace information is not given in the 1939 Register.

The only respect in which her paternal details don’t match up is that her father was not in fact deceased by 1914, but she may not have known that - she may not have had a continuing relationship with him.  Her mother Sophia had died in 1897 and I haven’t found the family yet in 1901 to see whether the children of the marriage stayed with Absalom after their mother’s death - have you looked into that?