Author Topic: Henry WILLISCROFT, born 1831  (Read 763 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Henry WILLISCROFT, born 1831
« on: Sunday 07 October 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Henry WILLISCROFT was transported to Australia in 1847, with 4 years of his 7 year sentence outstanding.  Passenger departures from Victoria on 18/02/1853 aboard the "Bombay" bound for London include a 23 year old "H. WILLISCROFT".

I have researched UK records unsuccessfully after 1853 but no mention (likewise Australia!!).........his parents were Joseph Williscroft, a Plumber/Glazier, and wife Mary Ann (nee JACKSON) and he had a fairly large family of brothers/sisters, two of whom Frederick and Joseph were also transported (all three were sentenced for the same offence at Worcester on 27/02/1844).

Hopefully, someone can help.    Thank you.

BAC3

PS:  It should be noted there are a variety of surname spellings........WOOLLISCROFT, WOLLISCROFT being just two.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Henry WILLISCROFT, born 1831
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 October 18 17:46 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch have Edwd Wolliscroft 21 and Henry Wolliscroft 27 passengers on the "Donald McKay" from Liverpool (7 May 1863) to Melbourne (29 Jul 1863) both Labs.  Are they relatives?

Also on FamilySearch - New South Wales census 1891 Gray St, Glen Innes - householder H Woolliscroft (the image has no further information).

Not much help, I know - but the NSW householder might just possibly be him.

Philip

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 October 18 21:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you Phillip,

"Wolliscroft" is tempting but, sadly, possibly a little too young and Edward seems to have no family connection.

BAC3

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 October 18 23:02 BST (UK) »
Several Public Trees on Ancestry have him. Born Birmingham, England 5 December 1831 to parents Joseph and Mary Ann. Baptised St Martin, Birmingham 6 January 1834 as Fredrick Henry Wollescroft. Death: 6 January 1899 Parramatta North, Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia.  Death record confirms parents names.  Ancestry has several other records for Frederick Henry Williscroft 1831-1899. 

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 October 18 10:05 BST (UK) »
ScobieDrom,

Thank you for your post.

The WILLISCROFT family profile is, to say the least, confusing:   Frederick Henry was Henry's elder brother, for whom I have a reasonably comprehensive narrative.  However, I have to hold my hands up for adding to the confusion as I quoted (just noticed!!) his DOB incorrectly as 1831 rather than 1830.   Apologies.

BAC3