Author Topic: "New Match" at Ancestry Dna , but who ?  (Read 1286 times)

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
"New Match" at Ancestry Dna , but who ?
« on: Sunday 07 October 18 17:32 BST (UK) »
Please, no laughing,all you DNA Whizzkids but a bit of help wouldn't go amiss..

My Ancestry DNA page tells me today I have a new DNA match (the first, since data originally uploaded 2 months ago)
My question :  how do I tell which?
 The button "New" is of no use as far as I can tell. The first hit last logged in 2 years ago and I recognised the ID from before so obviously not  "new". The same for other IDs.
Can I work it out without having to  check from previous list, compare and eliminate until I have this one, singular new match left ?
Please advise!
Thx
Rebel

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "New Match" at Ancestry Dna , but who ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 October 18 18:17 BST (UK) »
If it's a 4-6 cousin level, I go to New then do a Ctrl F (Find) and look for 4th. This will bring up the latest 4-6th cousin.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 October 18 18:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your answer but doing that brings up most of the total list.
I tried searching for Oct (ie this month) but no hits at all.
I wonder if Ancestry's just having a lark...trying to keep me interested as it were--
Rebel

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 October 18 18:34 BST (UK) »
The first 4th match will show up as highlighted in green on the list. Just scroll down until you find the one where the 4th is highlighted.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 October 18 18:49 BST (UK) »
Gotcha !
Thanks for your help but is this really the best way of doing things that Ancestry has to offer?
Why can't "they" just send me straight there ?
Rebel

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 October 18 18:52 BST (UK) »
I've not found a better way so far. If anyone can come up with anything that's quicker, I'd love to know.

They don't give us much for our s, do they!

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 October 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
It should be possible to search for relationship with date or vice versa but I can't see a way to do it.  I don't think their programmers/designers have done much systems analysis with users  ::)

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 October 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
I made a point of looking at all matches up to Distant, that way when I click on New any new match above Distant is at the top of the list.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 October 18 20:03 BST (UK) »
Doesn't work like that with me, Sinann - I have quite a few that I've looked at before in the new category.

Add - I confused the Date with New.