Author Topic: "New Match" at Ancestry Dna , but who ?  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "New Match" at Ancestry Dna , but who ?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 November 18 22:10 GMT (UK) »
It takes a long time to work through them all and check the trees that are there.

I did find out a missing great grandfather's line after about 3 months of  research and contacting 2 key matches. I'm really happy about that but wish my mother could have known.

:)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 December 18 12:04 GMT (UK) »
I got a new 3rd - 4th match on the 18th of Oct, checked out the shared matches so I think I know which family the link is but not how, I sent a message.
The profile says the person hasn't been on Ancestry since 4th Oct, so I thought I was sending a message before the person had even logged in for their result but they still haven't been on.

I thought new matches showed up the day a persons results went live but either this person has no interest in even having a look at their results or they got them on the 4th.

It doesn't say the account is being managed by someone else.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 01 December 18 12:39 GMT (UK) »
I read on one of the threads that it depends when the matching program picks them up. I expect  Margaret would know  :)

I  have noticed that  the new matches don't seem to correlate with the date matches, which would backup this view.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 01 December 18 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I never noticed the Date matches before ;D

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 December 18 20:43 GMT (UK) »
"I read on one of the threads that it depends when the matching program picks them up. I expect  Margaret would know  :)"

Your faith in me is touching, Gadget!!

In my experience, I get the notification on the same day as any new match. When I got my results initially, I immediately had two 3rd cousin matches. They must have had me as 3rd cousin matches on the same day, IYSWIM.

When you press 'New' you get matches in cM order, i.e.closest matches first, 4th cousins or closer, if any, followed by more distant ones, in order.

When you press 'Date', they appear to be in strict chronological order, as the cM vary up and down between one and the next. So the closest matches don't appear first.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go