Author Topic: Help  (Read 2359 times)

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 August 05 07:31 BST (UK) »
You beat me to it Annie!
Just to let you know Ted that I'm in the Stranraer area (nearish to Kirkcudbright) in D & G - if you need any info from the locality I'll do my best to help.
Rose
Pratt- Catterick/Richmond N.Yorks & Wilsden/Halifax West Yorks
Maylor- Preston/ Poulton Le Fylde
Whitaker- Halifax
Dixon- London & Yorkshire
Booth-Middleton,Oldham,Royton,Lancs
Boyling-Oldham,Royton & Shropshire
Harris- Bradford, Prestwich Manchester
SMITH!! Kirkcaldy, Manchester
Sturgess-  Preston Candover, Hampshire & London
Nixon- London
Walters- London & Hampshire
Settle - Halifax & Brighouse
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline baldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 August 05 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hello rose.
That is the best "offer" that I have had today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????? I notice that  you sent a name Clarence,I beleive that this is wrong,NOT on your part but of the census taker;I have looked/tried to find him in later census but he does not exist.There is an Ebenezer born in 1848 at that date,there is also in the census a Jane (son) of william I also think that this maybe/could be James.
I have been able to trace Ebenezer,he died in 1907,cannot find any family to him.
The family is mine though.

Ted
Beattie,Sproat,Thom(p)son,Ferguson,Callander,Cook,Wood,Smith,Grierson,Jamieson

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 August 05 08:25 BST (UK) »
To All.
Does anyone know of an English/Scottish site that we can look at for  people who were (a) injured or (b) who were killed during the Great War of 1914-1918.

Any ideas/help is appreciated

Ted

Annie has given you the URL of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Another - this time specifically Scottish - site which may be of interest is the Scottish National War Memorial at:
http://www.snwm.org/
You can search on that site for Scottish fatalities in the First and Second World Wars and also post 1945.  Sometimes there is additional information on this site vis-a-vis the CWGC.

JAP

Offline baldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 August 05 08:36 BST (UK) »
Again I find myself saying thank you .It is extremely hard to find these sites here in Australia.

Again many thanks

Ted

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 August 05 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Ted,

I too am in Australia!  But actually I cheated - I didn't find the Scottish site just by Googling from a standing start.  I dimly remembered - from correspondence on the (now defunct) ScotlandsPeople Discussion Group - that there was such a site and that I had used it.  So I knew I had to be able to find it if I persevered ;D

Cheers,

JAP

Offline baldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 August 05 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi JAP.
I have found (and maybe you have too) a site that is called British-Genealogy.com,from within there,there is Place forums that will take you to som Scottich Discussion Boards.
It is a bit on the slow side (not as fast as Rootsweb) ,but,will wait & see.

Ted

Offline baldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 07:06 BST (UK) »
You beat me to it Annie!
Just to let you know Ted that I'm in the Stranraer area (nearish to Kirkcudbright) in D & G - if you need any info from the locality I'll do my best to help.
Rose

Hello Rose.
I wonder if it is at all possible that the next time you go to Kbt D&G can yo have a look at the 1861-71 census for James BEATTIE.
Parents were William & Janet Agnes Callander.
Also for the same person:-any marriage

Regards  Ted (au)

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Ted- I'm really sorry but I think I'm going to have to disappoint you. I've checked the D&G council website for libraries and archives information and it appears that ALL census information for the Dumfries & Galloway region is ONLY available at the Ewart Library in Dumfries some 75 miles away!!!
I've had a similar problem before when I was doing some research for the history of our house, a local estate & their associated families. I went to Stranraer library & was told that the only census available was the 1851 online. I then contacted the Ewart library to check that this was correct, it was. I was also told information concerning the estate was in Glasgow!!! I argued the toss pointing out how popular family history research is, how poor our public transport system is to get to Dumfries & how difficult it made doing a simple lookup (when you're not sure that you'll find what you're looking for in one visit!!) & was simply told that the archive staff could undertake research on my behalf for a fee!!!!!!!! The really stupid thing is that the LDS have a research centre - also in Dumfries!!
If you'd like to contact them to check on this (& add more weight to my arguement) there is a contact form on the following link-
www.dumgal.gov.uk/dumgal/Services.aspx?id=61
Sorry again- it's so infuriating!
Rose
Pratt- Catterick/Richmond N.Yorks & Wilsden/Halifax West Yorks
Maylor- Preston/ Poulton Le Fylde
Whitaker- Halifax
Dixon- London & Yorkshire
Booth-Middleton,Oldham,Royton,Lancs
Boyling-Oldham,Royton & Shropshire
Harris- Bradford, Prestwich Manchester
SMITH!! Kirkcaldy, Manchester
Sturgess-  Preston Candover, Hampshire & London
Nixon- London
Walters- London & Hampshire
Settle - Halifax & Brighouse
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline baldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Rose.
Why,do they continue to do "stupid" things like this,is it because of "SOME UNIVERSITY CLOWN" that thinks,(excuse me,they don't think) it does cause as you say frustration.
 Thanks for the offer anyway.

Regards  Ted (au)