Author Topic: John Bent of Leicester Forest?  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
John Bent of Leicester Forest?
« on: Sunday 07 October 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
I've been researching another line of my Bent family but I'm not 100% certain I have the correct parents for my 7th grt grandfather.

John Bent marries Susannah Chaner/Chauner by license 6 May 1753 Leicester.
John is listed as John Bent of Leicester Forest in the parish of Desford. Aged above 40 and given a birthdate of 1713. Susannah is of the same but aged above 22 with a birthdate given of 1731.
But I don't think John is actually born 1713 and I think he is actually about 50 but gave himself a younger age.

John and Susanna go onto baptise 3 daughters in Cosby, Leic
Mary Bent 1755
Ann Bent 1758
Susannah 1762

John dies 1763 Cosby.
A William Bent, Yeoman, dies in Cosby 1760 and in his Will he lists his brother John Bent (The only John Bent in Cosby at this time is my John)
A William Bent was baptised in Cosby 1690 who also had a brother John who was bapt 1701.
Could this be my John? My John and Susannah move to Cosby and baptise their Children there and the only John Bent who is in Cosby at the time in relation to the Will of William and who seems to have a connection to cosby is my John.
When John dies Susannah moves back to Desford and remarries so Perhaps she comes from this area and John was from Cosby, hence why they moved there to baptise?
If so John would have been about 53 when he married Susannah who was apparently in her 20s. Did he perhaps lower his age so the age gap didnt appear as much?
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
Re: John Bent of Leicester Forest?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Mr Dudley

I'm afraid that I cannot help you with your query but I have one of my own for you. One of my second great grandmothers was Ann Bent. She married James West in Desford in 1822, but I've never been able to find her birth or family. She was born around 1802 based on census ages and became Ann West after marriage living afterwards in Earl Shilton. I noticed that one of your list of characters was also Ann Bent albeit a couple of generations earlier but names often run in families. Also your ancestors lived in the same area of west Leicestershire. I wondered therefore whether you are aware of my Ann Bent from your research?

cheers
Tony

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 22:11 BST (UK) »
I shall have a look Tony. I have 2 Bent lines on my fathers side both leading back to Cosby, Leic. The Bent family of Cosby were Lords of the Manor of Cosby and headed by Thomas Bent Esq who purchased the Manor in 1551 along with 1,221 Acres of Land and Houses. Some other Bent families descend from Thomas’s brother who is listed on pedigree as William Bent of Enderby, none of my lines descend from this william though.
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 22:13 BST (UK) »
What was her birthplace on census?
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your two replies. Her birthplace on census was given as Desford but there seems to be no record online of it. There is an Ann Bent born elsewhere in the county but rather far away from Desford.

Tony

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 October 18 19:32 BST (UK) »
I cant see an Ann Bent baptised in Desford but a John and Elizabeth Bent were baptising at around the same time she gives as her birthdate and seem to be the only pair doing so. Their last child is Elizabeth Bent bapt 1805 and they had a George bapt 1800 so Ann's birthdate does fit nicely in between them 2 but I cant see a record for her but this looks the most plausible as its the only Bent family in Desford.

These are possibly the Parents of Ann   -
John Bent bapt 24 May 1772 Sutton Cheney,Leic - Son of Thomas and Ann. Dies 1856 Desford. He gives his birthplace as Sutton Cheney on Census and a birthdate of c1770.
Marries Elizabeth Hill 4 Apr 1783 Braunstone, Leic. John of Sutton Cheney, Elizabeth of Braunstone.

Elizabeth Hill bapt 19 Jul 1767 Newbold Verdon dau of Robert and Elizabeth (Newbold is 8 miles from Braunstone and a birthdate of 1768 is given on her Burial record) Dies 1840 Desford.
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 October 18 19:37 BST (UK) »
Just out of Curiosity are your surname interests, Harrold, Deacon and Faulks from Leicestershire?
I descend from the Deacons of Fleckney through my 3rd grt grandmother and makes me 6th cousins to Queen bassist John Deacon. I have Harrold through my 5th grt grandmother Her name is Jane Harrold she gives a birthdate of 1791 but switches between being born in London or Leicestershire on her census returns so I haven't been able to find a record for her. I have Fowkes/Foukes on my tree maybe Faulks is a variation?
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 October 18 21:03 BST (UK) »
Evening Mr Dudley and thanks so much for all the information. It does indeed sound like the right Bent family.

Turning to your second reply. My paternal 2 x great grandmother was Elizabeth Deacon who was born around 1800 in Kilby, next to Fleckney. She is a bit of a problem for me because she married my 2 x great grandfather in the name of Elizabeth Coton (as spelled) but later gave her maiden name as Deacon when children were registered. My theory is that she married someone called William Coton a few years earlier and then after something happened to that marriage she re-married. Her age given in censuses varied from around 1801 to 1805. There were two Elizabeth Deacons baptised in Wigston Magna, just up the road from Kilby, one of whom was soon buried. But neither quite fits the above dates. There are no records of her baptism or otherwise in Kilby itself.

Faulks is another Leicestershire connection. Elizabeth Whitmore (nee Faulks) 1822-1872 of Earl Shilton is in my tree.

The Harrold family is my wife's. They were long established in Northamptonshire as milling families and also in Olney, Beds. The last related miller lived in Welford just over the border but his mill closed around 1890 and is now just a pile of foundation bricks.  His wife was Jane Harrold but she was around 2 generations later than yours. After her husband died she and a lot of her family moved to Leicester where they later died.

Tony

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 October 18 21:27 BST (UK) »
When I looked more carefully I was concerned about the Bent/Hill marriage date you typed because he would only have been 11 years old so I looked for myself. It was actually 10 years later in 1893 and spookily it was at the same church that my wife and I got married in. Sometimes these things make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck!